VACATIONING with ALS - HELP we have never done it before

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll check it out.

Thanks, Mike.

Reply by bhyatt:

We enjoyed the beach on Assateague Is. (Chincoteague, VA) a lot. Quiet with a wildlife refuge adjacent. They have a couple to the beach wheelchairs to use for short periods, but we borrowed one from Ocean City, MD for three days.

Hi -- We are going to Chincoteague in August for vacation and I'd love to know where in Chincoteague we can find these beach wheelchairs for my mom. I'd LOVE to get her out on the beach with her grandkids! Thanks or any information:mrgreen:!

My dear husband and I went to Mexico for the week prior to his passing. That week will be forever in my memory. I made things easy for my Dh by bringing a wheelchair and agreeing ahead of time that we would use it. He would not have had the energy to make the trip otherwise. He rested a lot so he could make it to dinner. He tried going into the water which he loved but was very nervous of falling. I brought a chair down to the water so he could sit there.

My suggestion is to make it as easy as possible for your loved one and appreciate the fact that you have that time to share.

BUMP! Summer's coming!

Thanks for bumping this one up as it is so close to my heart mare! Although I wish I would have read the dates in the beginning of the whole darn thing! If ANYONE here is wanting help with a vacation let me help you! My dad has ALS, and I have been helping others with ALS/MND go on vacations. I am a travel agent with over 18 years experience now. No service fees for anyone from here! Go forth and TRAVEL! Love life, live life....it is possible!
Hugs, Kari

Blubear that is great my family is hoping to get dad to the outerbanks this summer so I may call on your expertise very soon if you don't mind.

I would LOVE to help ya! I am on here everyday, so you can just message me anytime and we shall take it from there!
Hugs, Kari

Hey Debby!

I just typed up this huge response and my computer flaked out...OMG!

My mom was diagnosed with ALS in Sept 2009. We have gone to Nags Head, NC with family every year for 30+ years. This is our first year of having ALS tag along. We found an ocean front/ocean view cottage in South Nags Head that is handicap friendly. It has an elevator and all the needs for someone in a wheelchair. I believe we go through Sun Realty. They could help you.

As for all the things you need to take, according to my mom, take everything you think you might need plus extra just in case. :eek:) She always was one to over plan but better to be safe than sorry.

I don't know if this has helped or not. I'm on a lot so if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Linda

Hey Linda! That is great to know! I can find condos and hotels for people, but finding a house rental is VERY VERY difficult. I know someone who may want this info, I will have her take a look here and message ya if her hubby is still able to go anywhere.
Hugs, Kari

This is all so encouraging! We go to Florida every year, and I wasn't sure, logistically, how we were going to do that this year. We are set on the condo - everything should be okay there. The beach wheelchair sounds GREAT! Hopefully, we can figure out how to transfer my husband from the catwalk to the chair. There are three or four steps to manuever. He is not very good with steps - small steps, much less big ones. Any suggestions?

Miss, what are you meaning by catwalk? You mean like a boardwalk? The airplane catwalk? Let me know hun.
Hugs, Kari

Miss-

Did you see the thread "motorized beach wheelchairs" ?
Not sure if these are available where you are going, but check the site listed within the thread.

At the very least, I'd ask the management at the condo where you are going about rental of manual beach w/c.

Have a wonderful vacation!

just to speak to the fishing if he can cast, get a long piece of PVC pipe and cut the end to be beveled like a needle. Then hammer it in the sand. After casting he can put the rod in the pvc giving him a free hand for reeling.

Just a thought. I hope you guys have a GREAT time on your vacation!

Go and have fun, make memories. We just returned from a two cross country trip with my three kids 13, 11, and 8 and my husband who has bulbar ALS. We made it work, it is different but so worht it. Just remember he may not be able to do everything the same or maybe not at all but be patient. My husband and I love to hike but this trip we did not do alot of hiking like we would have pre-ALS however we still did some jjust slower. We traveled with a PICC line, feeding tube and bipap and made it all work. For planning purposes I agree condo's tend to be a better choice for the cost and the elimination of the stairs. Go and enjoy yourselves everyone of you. God Bless.

Jodi

Bumping this thread up incase anyone wants any help with any travel plans!
Hugs All!
Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back