Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
US
State
GA
City
Roswell
Just to start this discussion, I am researching What tri care will pay vs what the VA covers.So for instance, if the VA offers me a wheelchair that seems minimal, can I opt out for personal healthcare insurance coverage of a better wheelchair.
My experience with the VA has been; the wheeled walker and cane which were both outstanding. I then applied for a shower adaptation and they provided me with a cheap plastic 4 dollar handheld shower piece.
Also has Tri care purchased any long-term care equipment for anyone using their insurance?

ditto the va experience with the wheeled walker,cane and unfortunately the shower adapter..the va also provided a sturdy shower chair and an excellent commode booster seat. - - have thus far used tricare-for-life only as second payer to medicare.

We had no issue with the va. They will try the inexpensive first at times but if it doesnt work let them know. If you havent used your hisa grant or sah grant, I would put the shower on the list for those

All these things are ordered for the patient by VA techs who have catalogs. If you tell them something is inadequate, they will call around and try to find something better for you. That's just my experience.

I am not on tri-care-for-life yet (not on medicare) So Tricare prime is my carrier and the VA. Atsugi, thanks, good to know alternatives exist. Frank B keep plowing through it. Goose, I am still working on HISA. Peace

Tricare is interesting. We do use it,along with Medicare, when Matt needs to be seen and the wait is too long. As for equipment, I believe they follow Medicare guidelines--the VA is much more generous.

When we were first trying to determine our coverages, I called Tricare for Life and asked for a Navigator (is that what they called them?). After talking to Matt, they told him that since we have the VA they would not provide a navigator.

Question, just found out that once I apply for Social Security Disability that Medicare is automatic. Should I look into getting any supplement Medicare Group B. About to retire and unfamiliar with what Tricare, VA cover. Another concern is I’m on Radicava, and concerned I can keep using the medication without going bankrupt. Haven’t heard if Radicava is being issued by the VA.

Hmm, the general rule is that once you are on Medicare, you are switched to Tricare for Life, which is your secondary coverage AND your pharmacy coverage. Tricare for Life is no annual or monthly costs as normal Tricare does.

Once you are rated 100% by the VA, the VA will provide everything you need and sometimes more than you need. For example, Medicare and Tricare would not pay for my tube feeding supplies because I still could consume liquids. The VA didn't hesitate to provide the necessary nutrition.

Finally, the VA formulary includes Radicava. I was the first veteran to get Radicava at the Kansas City VAMC. I started last Monday with four days of training for my wife and me by the Infusion clinic staff. We have been doing home infusions for the past two days.

Dave, SMSgt (Ret), USAF 1966 - 1991

Thank you so much, Great information. God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back