Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
US
State
GA
City
Roswell
  1. Looking for someone to layout a step by step process for a Retired Veteran with 100% disability from ALS on 5/5/16. I have filed another request to get the disability backdated to the date when the symptoms were evident and I made a claim on a weak shoulder not knowing it was ALS, nor the Docs.
  2. Acronyms confuse me without a good reference book
  3. Starting with a family that does not believe I have this disease, and friends who think I just need to push to cure it. I have very slow progressing symptoms so it is hard to convince them that there is a problem.
  4. I have a Housing person from VA who says she is sort of a therapist and could handle the wife does not believe, but she does not get it and I am afraid to go through with anything until more symptoms appear. (sounds dumb to me)
  5. I received retired VA pension, but they reduce the monthly with my disability amount. The make disability non taxable is the only break.
  6. still working full time, taking more vacations

Yes I did, I was looking for a more detailed explanation of the components, this thread looked like a recent VA document I read.
Thanks for the information

You're requesting a great deal of work from people who barely work. Understand?

I think your best bet would be to call your nearest Paralyzed Veterans of America. Which the rest of us call PVA.

Your local pva group truly is your best source. If you have been given the permanent and total 100% rating for als, your first compensation payment should be backdated to when symptoms appear. This comes in a check. Then monthly, generally the 1st, you get a deposit of whatever uour compensation amount is currently. Thru time and reevaluation, that will be increased. Pva will track this for you and get the paperwork done.

Right now, you can apply for the van, get a power wheelchair, and start special adapted housing(sah) grant and HISA grant. Sah is about 75k and hisa about $6800. It is important to start these processes because they take time.

For more specifics co tact the ebenefits.gov site or your local pva rep.

Well, the backdate did not happen, so I had to file another claim
The PVA is a good place to go. I was looking to see if someone else had done this already... Well it was worth a shot
Thanks for your help on this

Lots of those who answered have done it before.

I'm in Australia, so can't help directly. What I have learned here is that getting into the Paralyzed Veterans of America with your diagnosis seems to be the best path. I've read so many threads where this step has given the PALS someone who will unravel everything for them and advocate for them. So I would encourage you to contact the Paralyzed Veterans of America again and get them to start it over if needed.

Sadly most of our PALS here who have some knowledge are using their eyes to type, so they can't really sit and type everything out from their particular experience.

I hope the Paralyzed Veterans of America can get your issues sorted properly as you deserve all the help they can offer.

The ALS Association can also help you understand the veteran benefits as it relates to ALS. You can also try a social worker at the VA that you go to and see if one of them will sit down with you and go step by step with you. A VA or ALS social worker might be a good start for your wife to meet with as they are trained to help others understand difficult life situations like ALS.

Rated with ALS with the VA means you already qualify for an adapted vehicle grant which is something like $20,000. It is a one time grant. The VA will pay for it to be converted with a ramp in addition to the grant to purchase it. The SAH, specially adapted housing grant, is $76,300. This can be a long process. It is a good idea to start sooner rather than later. It sounds like you've already met with a person from the VA who handles the housing grant. She should be good for answering about any question you have as well.

The document that was created for this section is an excellent one. Sometimes it takes time to absorb a lot of information and address each issue as it comes up. Might be a good idea to print it out and use it as a guide.

I don't understand what you mean about having a housing person from thel VA who says she is a sort of a therapist. Do you mean an occupational therapist came to the house to discuss changes and modifications? If so, please listen to her.

Please, if your wife does not believe that changes need to be made, have her join here, or have her request to join the ALS caregiving spouses group on Facebook. She needs to wake up. As for the family that says fight it, they may not know what else to say.

Are you receiving a VA pension or full retired military pay? If you are 100% service connected from the VA and retired from the military, there should not be an offset.

Seriously, I strongly advise you to find a PVA (Paralyzed Veterans of America) rep to help you. They will explain your benefit and can help you apply and follow up on your applications for you--including trying to get your disability date backdated to the first symptoms.

My husband was slow progressing, but we almost waited too long to get started on modifications. It takes awhile to get approved and get a contractor working, so start NOW. The VA will send an OT to the house to advise on immediate and long term changes.

I'm so sorry that your family is in denial. Do take those vacations, but get started on modifications and equipment now so that you have it when you need it. You never know when this disease will speed up or when an injury will catapult you to a new level.

Becky

Thanks to all who were generous to share their information with me. I will seek out PVA for more information.

"Understand?" that message has me baffled

My basic premise for even writing on this blog was to collect information to develop a step by step so others do not have to look in the (pamphlets) weeds for everything. Since I am able to still work and my work involves process engineering I though I could help out someone behind me.

Thanks again for all of your help on this, I will post something when I get it together if that is OK

Thanks to all who were generous to share their information with me. I will seek out PVA for more information.

"Understand?" that message has me baffled

I now type with one knuckle.
Others use eye gaze.

Your request for step by step far exceeds our ability.

Now is it clearer?

All good advice. Will send a private message later in the week regarding experience with the VA Atlanta.

Regarding PVA - I sent in application 2 weeks ago, I have not heard anything. About how long does it take for the process to work. Should I call?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back