Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
My brother is rated 100% disability through the VA and is receiving compensation for his service-connected ALS. His diagnosis was done by a neuro at Henry Ford hospital and concurred with by the Detroit VA. April of this year he moved from Michigan to Tucson, AZ to be nearer to me. We got him enrolled at the Tucson VA and he is now receiving all his care with them. He had to be re-evaluated at the VA here in Tucson and just received his re-evaluation letter from the VA which states that there was an "error" in his original eval and they are reducing his monthly compensation by over $300. Something to do with the loss of use of his left arm which they claim he doesn't have now. They are taking away any vehicle adaptation $ also. The Michigan PVA rep said that reductions never happen so we are very surprised at this turn of events here in Arizona. I am contacting Tim's PVA rep Tuesday to find out how to appeal. Has anyone here on this forum ever had a "reduction" in their VA compensation? I hope this is not a pre-cursor of bad things to come with the VA...so far, we've been very satisfied with their care. We hope we didn't make a mistake by switching Tim's medical care completely over to the VA?

I guess the question would be---HAS he lost the use of the left arm? If so--of course you'd want to dispute it or appeal. You might ask Atsugi -- he works with the VA if I'm not mistaken

File for an immediate re-evaluation. Keep doing it until they get it back up. In the meantime, your PVA officer should go to work on it for you.

You didn't make a mistake. The care he will receive at the VA is top notch. He will get the equipment he needs and caregivers to help you. I'm not going to tell you that you won't have to stay on top of things, but it is worth it.

Thanks for the motivating words of encouragement, Missy. My condolences on your recent loss of your husband.

You re-iterated what I've heard many others say about the great care at the VA. I plan to call his PVA officer on Tuesday. Tim just received the VA letter yesterday and is mailing me a copy so I can read it myself since I'm currently away from Tucson. He has bulbar-onset ALS and has partial loss of use of his left arm. I'll keep you'all informed on what happens and I really appreciate this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back