Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Sandy Springs
Personal Background: I am one of the fortunate few to be a 10 year survivor of ALS (truly blessed). VA currently authorizes me 13 hours of home health aid services per week and am being evaluated for an additional 3 hours. Given my current physical condition I fully expect to be granted the additional hours. Can anyone provide input concerning additional Medicare home health aide assistance, if any? Also, a friend mentioned home health aid service through hospice. His acquaintance on hospice kept being reevaluated for home health aid services every three months until passing a year later. Although I am 84 years young I don't expect to croak in the next 6 months in order to qualify for hospice. Not much expectation in this area but thought I would throw it out there just in case. I have been exceptionally thankful for VA in particular and for Medicare in general for their care./thanks!

The short answer is no

medicare does not pay for “ custodial” care. They will provide home skilled services such as pt or a nurse and while you are getting that care you might get an aide for bathing or such. An example would be a nurse monitoring a wound or an unstable blood pressure. Once the acute medical situation resolves and skilled service isn’t needed the aide leaves too.
hospice is different and they will often provide a bathing aide type for the duration. Extended time care with hospice is , I believe, limited to what are anticipated to be the very last days

Frank, you don't need to "expect to croak in the next 6 months in order to qualify for hospice". My husband was on hospice for 13 months before he died. He was reluctant to start hospice and my daughter and I had to really convince him to try it. He ended up liking it very much. You are eligible to get a home health aide a few hours each week as soon as you start hospice.

Sharon

Frank, are you in contact with the Palliative Care team at your VAMC? If not I would ask your PCP for a referral.

thanks, everyone, really appreciate your comments and advice !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back