Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
US
State
FL
City
Winter haven
According to the Rep at PVA who filed my brothers compensation claim, he should receive his 1st check at the end of November. Will it be retroactive from date of dx or from date of initial symtoms. I ask because I was approved for back conditions @ 10% in 2014. Much to my surprise, it was retro as of 2006. I didn't request the retro pay, so I was pleasantly surprised.

He is not concerned w/ retro at this point. He's just thrilled to be approved because he wasn't sure how much longer he could continue the grind. I'm the curious one, although I highly doubt he would be upset if he got back pay.

I requested his dd214 on line from ST Louis because he misplaced it and was told by the VA that they didn't have it on file even though he has received care from numerous clinics & hospitals in the past. W/out it - no claim, however, the rep submitted an intent to file.

I attached a letter to the staff humbly asking for his dd214 to be expedited, and again, much to my surprise it came QUICK. I read that it could take some time, so I researched sites that offered to expedite it for a small fee of $80. Yeah right lol. I then stumbled across a blog featured by a veterans wife accusing those sites of being a scam.

I figured it couldn't hurt to ask St Louis to fast track it and they did!

He's awaiting an appointment to see a comp doctor for SC eligibility. He's just thrilled with the 100% service connected comp amount, although he isn't likely to refuse the additional assistance if approved lol.

Had it not been for you Mike and several other vets who shared their experience and vast knowledge of the compensation system, we would not have known that ALS is service connected and therefore wouldn't have applied.

THANK YOU guys for helping to make his life so much easier.
Love ya all

Re: VA compensation Effective Date

Tlo57 asked: “he should receive his 1st check at the end of November. Will it be retroactive from date of dx or from date of initial symptoms?

Short answer: The check will be retroactive to the date VA received his claim.

Quotes from the VA website:

Effective Dates
When VA makes a determination that a compensation award is to be paid based on a claim, an effective date is also assigned. The effective date determines when benefits are payable. Effective dates can vary based on the type of benefit and the circumstances of the claim.

How Effective Dates are Assigned
Listed below are the most common types of claims and generally how effective dates are assigned for each type.

Direct Service-Connection
Generally, an effective date for service-connection for a disability that is directly linked to an injury or disease that was incurred or aggravated by military service is the date VA receives a claim or the date entitlement arose, whichever is later. The date entitlement arose means the date the condition was shown to exist by medical evidence.

There is an exception in cases where the claim is filed within one year of separation from active military service. For these claims, the effective date will be the day following separation.

Presumptive Service-Connection
Generally, an effective date for service-connection for a disability that is presumed to be related to military service is the date entitlement arose if the claim is received by VA within one year of release from active duty. If the claim is received by VA after one year of release from active duty, the effective date is the date of receipt of the claim or the date entitlement arose, whichever is later.

Reopened Claims
Normally, the effective date for a reopened claim is the date of receipt of claim or date entitlement arose, whichever is later.

Re: VA compensation Effective Date

Ok, that makes sense. I think he filed on 9/25, so he can expect 1 month retro? Which comes 1st, retro or reg comp chk.? I believe I rec'd my retro a short time after receiving regular monthly comp check. Will he wait long to see a VA doctor to determine if he's eligible for SC pay? Bruce said that he had his check in hand w/in 5 weeks of filing claim. My brother was sceptical, but the time frame seems to be right. It's great that the VA fast tracks these claims. I just found out that my appeal filed in 2014 for an increase and my 2nd appeal filed in 2015 have been combined, certified by BVA and assigned docket numbers - yay! I was told that it could be another year before I'm given a date for a hearing. I'm ok with it, just really grateful that my brother and other PALS who are truly deserving are given priority status.

Can't remember which check came first, but I remember it was much faster than many people say.

The C & P examiner--who is the last one to evaluate the patient and file the report with the VA Regional Office--might not be a doctor. Ours knew nothing about anything, but filled out the paperwork as we showed him what ALS had done. After the C & P--Compensation and Pension--examine sends his report to the Regional Office, and Rater will gather all the evidence available and rate the package and send your brother a big manila envelope with the words "total and permanently disabled." That letter is the basis for a lot of benefits.

TL057, please encourage your brother to accept any and all benefits offered. ALS is a monster that just takes and takes. Early on he may feel like he doesn’t need the extra help, but by the time he does it would be best that everything is already in place. This is a disease of constant change and adaptations, and they are both expensive and difficult.

I’m sure you’ve already been told this, but your brother should consider working the a PVA rep on filing claims. The PVA knows ALS well.

Becky

Thanks Mike. I'll let him know what to expect w/ C & P.

Thanks Becky. It occurred to me last night that this isn't going away, therefore, why not plan for the inevitable. It's so touchy because I don't want to alarm him.

Hey tlo57, never stop advocating the va for the equipment. He will need it all somewhere down the road. PWC, breathing machines, cough assist ,van,ramps, SAH grant for making house useable,hisa grant and much much more . This along with comp. also aides and helpers. Communication devices. Etc.
Good luck,
Chally
Get connected with PVA rep

I was going to check out Amazon because I read that someone here had purchased a neck brace on the site, but figured that he could get it through the VA!
He's very fortunate to have the Services offered by the VA. They've been getting a lot of bad press lately, at times deservingly so, but I think they're getting it right with PALS and CALS.

Has anyone felt this way? I.e., I'm afraid for him to know that he's going to eventually need all of this equipment. It took a minute for me to convince him that the brace would help to lessen the strain of trying to hold his head up.

Thanks Chally!

Last edited:
I want to share some fantastic news.

I'm not starting a new thread - I'm hoping that everyone who shared their experience and those who offered advice will read this.

I tried to register him w/ the ebenefits site so he could logon every now and then to monitor progress, but got timed out because I couldn't answer the questions w/in the 2 minute time frame.

After so many failed attempts, they lock you out so you either have to ppl proof at regional office or call the 1800 # with your direct deposit Amt.

I took a chance and called on his behalf. The rep tried doing a 3 way to have him verify everything - no answer.

She was such a doll! She said when he gets his direct deposit, have him call us to verify and we can correct the problem. I told her that the PVA rep said he wouldn't get his 1st chk. till the end of Nov.

Without telling me directly, she kept saying that let's just say he gets it on Wed 10/25, he can call us then. I kept saying the end of Nov and she said that if he did get it on 10/25, he could call then.

Duh, it took me awhile, but to make a long story short, he's gonna get a check on 10/25 lol.

I was so excited to relay this info to him. 1st thing he said was not to tell his wife so that he could catch up on some bills. I reminded him that she and I don't speak! He said it's because she's still upset over hurting her feelings.

Remember ppl, he works to pay household bills, she works to pay what? His phone was shut off, but her service wasn't interrupted.

Thank you for letting me vent here. Me hurting more than just her feelings isn't going to solve anything. I have to keep my big mouth shut and keep the peace for his sake.

I know this is stupid, but the rep at the VA who was so kind has the same 1st and middle name as me - coincidence lol?

That news made me so happy! So Nikki, he can finally stop the grind and begin to take better care of himself.

Thanks to everyone. This is such a blessing.

Last edited:
I am truly happy for him. I do hope he takes advantage and does not keep pushing himself to get ahead financially

Thank you for sharing

Thank you Nikki. I've told him about you and your concerns. I think he's beginning to grasp do's and don't's.

VA will cover so much. Not sure if you are going to Tampa or Orlando for services. We had great care at James Haley in Tampa. The money that comes is the vets. It can be deposited in his own account. Down the road, he may need it

Oh no, I think you misunderstood. My bad, my brother is currently in Knoxville, but formerly lived near Tampa. He has his own acct at a Credit Union which is where his checks Be direct deposited. He needs it now, not down the road!

Unfortunately, I thought he would get his 1st check Wed 10/25, but after calling the 1800# again learned that it wouldn't be deposited unto We'd., 11/1, so I've had to wire him some cash to get help him survive until then. I've been helping him get his compensation so that he can quit his job and pay his bills with his future compensation checks.

I have my own VA compensation (USMC) for non life threatening disability (10%), appeal at BVA though and SSD. I live 45 minutes from Tampa and have used James Haley for some of my health care needs. I'm currently enrolled in the Lakeland clinic.

My twin brother has ALS and is registered at the Johnson City clinic. He fell at work and split his eye open requiring 11 stitches. I discovered through this forum that he would qualify for service connected benefits, so did much of the legwork to help him out and get the ball rolling, but in no way would I take his $. I'm not a POS! Even though he insists, I always refuse to let him reimburse me for anything.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood, it's probably my fault for not clarifying. I have my own benefits and have been fortunate in that I've shared a home & my life for the last 10 years with an attorney who has been in private practice for 45 years (SSD & Workers Comp). He's been very generous to me and my family! In return, he's never had to lift a finger w/ household chores lol.

My brother is waiting to see a C&P person to determine his eligibility for SC. You're absolutely right, He needs every penny they offer him as well as any other benefits available to him.

Hi Gooseberry

Hope Im not coming on too strong. Initially I was somewhat offended by "the money that comes in is the vets and that it can be deposited into his own acct".

I wasn't sure if you were suggesting that I would gain financially from his illness, so let me reassure you that my efforts are solely for his benefit.

I picked up a little something during my service in the Marine Corps called integrity. I enlisted in 78 a few yards away from the World Trade Centers. I was selected twice to compete for Marine of the month, rec'd every promotion meritoriously, and participated in a recruiting campaign in the 80's aimed at attracting more women to the Corps. My photo advertisements were featured in recruiting literature that appeared in People and Timelife magazines as well as a tv commercial that was shown during a Super Bowl half time. It may be my only claim to fame, but something that I'm extremely proud of.

I value honesty and believe that character is important. I find it reprehensible for anyone to take advantage of another human being, especially those who are vulnerable.

Rather than be all sensitive and take offense, I'll look at it as you not wanting to see anyone being taken advantage of. We share the same values in that respect. Thanks Queen of healing - good looking out. Hope we can be friends!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back