Diagnosis
05/2018
Country
US
State
TX
City
mesquite
Before I ask my question I will give a little background info on my situation. I was injured in the military and have two discs pushing on nerves which causes extreme pain down to left foot. The VA wants to do disc replacement surgery but I have been holding off as long as possible. I was awarded service connection for back and secondary nerve issues in left leg. I have been suffering with a neurological disorder, primarily affecting my hands to shoulders bilaterally to the point of no use at all. I did work-ups at the VA for over a year and last week diagnosed with ALS. I was told I would be given 100% disability.

Here is the question:
If I am at 100% for ALS, do they increase the dollar amount based on both arms being of no use (documented in chart) and back that was previously service connected causing severe pain and mobility issues? Or is it just a flat rate 100% dollar amount?

Sorry if this is too lengthy, this is very new to me and overwhelming at times.

Thank you,
Mike

Thank you Nikki

You will be rated 100% "with ALS". That doesn't get you extra, but (by law) the VA is required to expedite everything if you have ALS. You will need to remind/inform them of that. With aid and attendance that came to about $4k a month (tax free). Being 100% entitles you to a bunch of other benefits as well (housing, car, life insurance, clothing, etc.)

In the guide Nikki referenced, you'll see that there is an entire list of "additional conditions" which warrant added cash.

As a patient's condition deteriorates--loss of use of a limb, two limbs, three, etc--there will be additional Special Monthly Compensation added to your check. Being homebound, needing Aid and Attendance, and being bedbound will also increase your cash compensation.

Thank you all very much for the info and insight.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back