Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
Gwinnett
Finally after months of waiting, we have the C&P exam scheduled for this afternoon. Besides telling the evaluator about the worst day of his illness (yesterday was pretty typically bad health wise), be on time, don't complain about the VA or services, etc. What should we expect? So far, my expectations have been dashed.

My husband is totally disabled. He can no longer stand. He can feed himself with his left hand but all muscles are going quickly. We have a VA CNA for 10 hours per week and VA home based care that started this week.

In the past month he had bronchitis, pulmonary embolism in his lungs, deep vein thrombosis in his right leg, and pneumonia plus ALS. He was in ICU for 7 days and returned to the hospital for three more days. He is a miracle that he is still with me and I thank God for each additional day.

I have copies of the two outside ALS diagnosis along with the VA Neurologist's comments for Aid and Attendance, DD 214 and original letter of 30% disability that was granted automatically in May of 2011. And yes we have a PVA advocate.

Thanks for any advice.

On September 23, 2008, the Department of Veterans Affairs published new regulations – effective immediately - establishing ALS as a service connected disease. It baffles me why the VA makes us go through the C&P process. I even took in a copy of the new regulation and they refused to look at it. My C&P was very uneventful, it was a PA that asked me a bunch of questions and did a very basic exam. Good luck and if you need anything I will try and help.

HOw did it go, Peach? You are aware that they can help with vehicle needs as well, correct? Atsugi might be able to answer any questions if you send him a message.

He's not posting since Krissy passed, but I've seen he's been checking in

The VA examiner seemed competent. I think she was a nurse practitioner and asked all the right questions. Our social worker has already put in a request for the report.

In the meantime, the VA had sent us another form since I kept requesting the outcome of his rating since August. Our neurologist from Emory ALC Clinic had submitted the 10 page medical report about his ALS condition so I can't understand why they won't rate him 100%. Every day he is worsening.

Please don't hesitate to email me any questions you might have. My husband was a veteran, and I did figure out how to work around some of the constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back