Status
Not open for further replies.
We used the option Greg mentioned; we modified the house so that it was in compliance with VA requirements and the VA sent the $70,465 to our mortgage company. Under that option, you pay for the modifications yourself but you do not get the cash back into your hands--it goes to pay down your mortgage. It works well if you have the means, but you do need to work closely with your VA inspector to insure that you pass that final inspection.

Nuts, our house isn't compliant so.we are using the sah grant for modifications and took out the mortgage insurance. The mortgage Insurance pays off the loan if the veteran passes. You can start it at the beginning or end of construction. The premium you pay is dependent on the outstanding mortgage balance. This worked best for us. We were encouraged to heavily mortgage the house and stash the cash. Then we would make.money. I can't do it. They thought I was crazy to throw away $200k which I guess is maximum payoff for the Insurance.

We just completed the SAH grant process. The house is finally completed. From beginning to end it took 25 months. About 3 months of the delay was due to our HOA. We had to get permission to go over the allotted impervious square footage. Eventually we had to go to the county environmental something or other to get approval for the HOA to "give" us the impervious square footage.

We also had problems with the first builder we were going to use. The dude took forever to return phone calls. We were using him because the VA housing agent had already done some projects with him and seemed to feel he knew what he was doing. He probably did know what he was doing but after months of communication issues we fired him. We fired him before he broke ground. In a rush we had to find another contractor which we did and he worked out okay. I guess we lost maybe 5 months with the first contractor.

I do feel the VA housing agent dragged his feet at times yet I also know the housing agents have a lot of vets they are working with. Some of their responsibilities include VA mortgage type of stuff. They have too much work to do, all the time, it's a problem, shouldn't be our problem but it is, a person can only do some much work in an 8 hour day, and that is frustrating when you need your house accessible yesterday.

From what I can tell each region's VA SAH grant process runs a little bit differently. Veterans with ALS files usually get top priority. In our area the final construction plans are sent to Georgia for approval. My husband's was approved in days, and check was issued and received by the housing agent within weeks of submission. The check goes into a special bank account that only the housing agent has access to. In our case, and it could be different with other agents, the contractor was issued 5 checks over the life of the project. We also took out the mortgage insurance. The premiums come out of the monthly benefit. We chose to have the insurance in place when the check was deposited in the escrow account.

The mortgage insurance is available only for those who have used, or are using, the SAH grant and I believe the veteran must be less than 69 years old but I'd have to double check that. The mortgage is paid off directly when the vet dies.

Your mom, because she is your dad's caregiver, can elect to be in the VA caregiver program. This program opens up the opportunity for her to receive support from other caregivers and will introduce her to the VA social workers. It's a good program. I am one of the mentors specifically for caregivers of veterans with ALS and have found it to be rewarding for my mentees and myself.

Mary, SAH is a big hairy deal and it's important to understand it so vets can get houses built or remodeled in time to benefit from them. If you ever get the chance, maybe you could write up a long post or a blog that describes the process.

I personally got the ball started too late because I didn't understand the process, so we never got the benefit. --Mike

It is a great benefit Mike but one you need a lot of patience and organization for. Starting early helps immensely.

I'd be happy to do that Mike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back