Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
VA
City
S
We aren't there yet, but I am wondering how the VA is with hospice care. My PALS has Medicare also but we have received everything medically needed through the VA with no paperwork or bureaucracy(after the initial claim paperwork) Can someone share how the VA does with hospice?

Mary

According to the Q&A on the VA website, all veterans receiving health care are eligible for hospice care. See below, which is a direct quote from their FAQs. Probably should go through your Service Officer as well so they are aware.

"Does VA pay for hospice care?

If you are enrolled to receive health care services from VA, you are eligible for hospice care through VA. Generally, hospice care is arranged and coordinated with a VA social worker at the facility in which you receive your health care."

Dave

VA Orlando did a good job for us. They paid for a little nursing, but I asked for more and they granted it. Then we needed hospice and we got it.

The hospice company offered two levels of care for us. They expected to start out with palliative care, with a nurse visiting once a day. But instantly my PALS condition justified full time 24 hour nursing for "Crisis Care."

The nurses were low quality. None had worked with paralyzed patients. All pretended to know their stuff, but they didn't. I trained them all on ALS. Often, I would run the room while using the nurse as an extra set of hands--a helper. One told me she had been in admin all her career.

That said, it all worked well. Between the two of us, the care got done and I got a few hours sleep. VA paid and we never saw a bill.

Thanks Mike. It's good to know the VA covers hospice so fully. I have been amazed how well they have done in providing what Dave needs, even before he needs it. The caregivers have been professional and caring. With all the issues the VA has, it is great to know they are doing well by vets with ALS. Just wish we didn't know this by personal experience!

Mary

The hospice company offered two levels of care for us. They expected to start out with palliative care, with a nurse visiting once a day. But instantly my PALS condition justified full time 24 hour nursing for "Crisis Care"

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum. We have been unable to get full time help from the VA for my dad, we get someone for about 5 hours a week. My parents pay out of pocket for night help and the rest has been me and my siblings. They offer respite care but we need more. He's at 8 years and we are looking to hire. The VA has been great in all aspects except this

Welcome, Pony. I am sure the vets here can chime in on hospice policies, but feel free to post an intro in the CALS section.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back