Status
Not open for further replies.
I had on OT who had no idea how to work a hoyer with a hygiene (split leg) sling. After 3 visits, she couldn't even get my DH from the bed to wheelchair. We refused to pay for those visits and got a different agency.

When that OT came, she could use the sling (I had already figured it out myself), but insisted that every lift had to be a 2 person lift. I told her that was not my reality. Most days, I am here alone with my PALS. We emailed her asking for help with a PWC to toilet transfer. She responded that she did not consider that a safe move and would not help. Again, I was left to figure it out on my own.

Home OT has been HORRIBLE! And apparently, at least here, they are assigned by the agency by region, so I don't even have the option of requesting a different person. So we go it alone.

Laurie;

In answer to your question about the progress on the Hoyer: Our most trusted caregiver and I will attempt a lift tomorrow. We know what we are supposed to do and will take it slow. Might even get her in her PWC.

Sibyl's very weak leg (right) causes her pain unless we move it in a special way. Our concern with the lift is whether the sling will cause this pain.

Also, you and others cautioned about using clonazepam (spelling?) and we have successfully weaned her from the drug. I went back to hydrocodone for two nights but stopped that as well. She is actually sleeping much better now with just one extra strength Tylenol.

Jrzygrl

I think these visits, especially home care, are cash cows for the health care conglomerates. If I read the bills correctly each visit costs $198.00.

I get the impression that they send people like OT and PT without any consideration of their qualfication. After all, Medicare is paying for it so no need to reject the visits especially with senior citizens who may not be sharp enough to question visits.

Since you refused to pay For at least one visit I assume you bear the costs and not Medicaid or Medicare.

I would refuse to pay for the bad Hoyer Lift help but really don't know if I could since it is Medicare and insurance paying the bill.

We still have insurance thru my husband's employer since at the moment, long term disability is covering it. His insurance paid the 80% that they cover, but we refused to pay our co-pay.

I do agree that it is a cash cow for them and also had too many "professionals" that were not adequately trained. (We've had some other "winners" come out in addition to the 2 mentioned.) And yes, many will not question them. Me, I'm over that.

Used the Hoyer lift today. Our newest care giver brought her own sling and used it to transfer my wife from her bed to her PWC. She gave us the sling.

Existing caregiver and I observed and will be able to make this kind of transfer in the future.

It was a mesh sling which works well for this kind of transfer but would be awkward for transfer to the potty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back