Using the Bi-Pap Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic ! Tell him to make sure its not too tight. Ya , I took me a while to believe it too.

Glen

Thanks for the name of the mask, Glen. I googled it - looks great. I think this might help with my appetite problem as well. My nutritionist thinks the dry tongue has affected my taste buds.
Sharonca

Sheronca ... A couple days ago, I gave you an answer on another thread about the dry mouth on awakening with a full-face mask. I said I didn't have it, but since I posted that, I have awakened each morning with a VERY dry mouth. I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention before or if my new mask, which I got this week, is causing it.

Anyway ... wanted to correct the record!

Beth , though impossible as it may seem , you sometimes need to keep your mouth closed.

LMAO - Yes , mine dries out too . I keep water near my bed just in case.

I'm happy to report my Dad finally got a mask that is not irritating his nose and the sore is healing... to bad he has a nasty nasty wound on his head now though. Poor guy! I'm sure it will look better once the stitches are out but it gives me the willies right now.

I'm happy to report my Dad finally got a mask that is not irritating his nose and the sore is healing... to bad he has a nasty nasty wound on his head now though. Poor guy! I'm sure it will look better once the stitches are out but it gives me the willies right now.

They are not stitches , they are battle scars. Chicks luv em. :)

Well he'll be thrilled to learn that! Thanks Glen. ;)

tdamess,

I tried the oral mask, and could not get past the dry mouth issues with it. I have a heated humidifier, and kept it set to the maximum. I tried (I think) as hard as it is possible, to adjust to it and the dry mouth. The other problem is that I'm not a mouth breather. It was hard to have my mouth open, and the first few nights my jaw during the day was painful because of it. I really liked how quiet it was, and no blowing air to blow on someone else while sleeping.

I really wanted it to work, because, if for vanity reasons alone, it really does not have a big impact on how a person looks, as just the mouth is covered, and there is only the single strap (which the manufacturer says is optional) so the headgear part is pretty much invisible. But, I have enough soft palate weakness to where I could not train myself to sleep without the nasal plugs, if I did not wear them, air leaked out of my nose., and, as I stated, I could not overcome the mouth dryness.

I then went back to my nasal mask. The problems I've had with it from the start does not have to do with fit, but because my nose will start to itch really intensely after wearing it for a while. Then, of course, I can't reach it to scratch it, because its covered, and by time I lift up the edge to rub my nose, I'm either awake (a bad thing) or it wakes Don, from the roar of rushing air.

Then, I tried just raising up the head of my bed and sleeping without the bi-pap when I first got the puppy, because I was up and down so many times in the night with him anyway, but, it caused such horrible headaches.... I went back to the nasal mask at night, and during the day when I'm really feeling wrung out, and need a "hit" of good breathing, I wear the oral mask, because it does not interfere with reading, etc.

After talking about this at my last clinic visit, they want me to meet with another RT and try another nasal mask, but I've not followed through yet. Frankly I'm not wanting to look like Miss Piggy in the bedroom at night (nasal pillow effect) if I can find a way to move past the itching when wearing the nasal mask

I hope this topic continues to be discussed. The things I know for certain is that having a mask that fits correctly is really important, and using the bipap if you need it, is one of the best things a person can do to help themselves.

(does anyone else have problems with the nose itch?)

Yes , my nose itches sometimes too. Most of the time , its a cat hair. I just pop the mask off , rub the hair off of my nose , much in the way the three stooges would rub their faces, and put the mask back on.

Question: You say that your vanity keeps you from wearing a full face mask. Yet you continue to try fuss and fidget with the nose or oral masks. Why ?

I put to you this thought. If you are still tired in the morning , you will look tired. If you get a full nights rest , you will looked refreshed . Why not try the full face mask?

Glen

LOL, no, vanity isn't keeping me from the full face, it was the nasal pillows that gave me the miss piggy look, and even that wouldn't have stopped me from using it if the mask would have worked for me. I guess my nostrils aren't the exact same size, and I had leakage on one side, and if I tightened it up enough to keep that side from leaking, I kept getting an open sore under my nose from the pressure, and my nose would hurt the next day.

What has kept me from trying the full face mask is that I don't see how it would be any different as far as the itching problem. Its making me crazy(er).

I think its somehow connected with the wind inside the mask... its the outside of my nose, not in it, and yeah, like a cat hair, or any hair would tickle and make it itch. After my "hell tour" trying to use the oral mask with the associated mouth dryness, it seems like the itch is a small price to pay to feel more rested. Last night I left it on all night, but I still feel awful this morning, most of the time it does help tremendously with fatigue though.

Beth , though impossible as it may seem , you sometimes need to keep your mouth closed.

Easy for you to say, EverReady, tell that to my missing lip seal! :lol:

A new nickname for Glen? EverReady the Energizer Bunny! I love it! :p

Barry (another person who just can't keep his mouth shut)

Beth & Barry-

Glen: EverReady- Energizer Bunny !?!

I'm not touching that one, even with Al's 10 ft. "Pole" !

Ok mare, he is a REALLY BIG bunny! And you know, we don't pick our nicknames they just appear of their own accord. If the shoe fits....

Barry-

BIG, BOISTERIOUS LOL !

Glen? Wanda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back