Diagnosis
12/2020
Country
US
State
NY
City
Long Island
Hey all. My dad wants to get a walking cane. Right now he walking is ok but he wants one for when he needs it. We already have a rollator but he doesn't think he is there yet. His hands are weakening but his grip strength is pretty good. The occupational therapist recommended we get:

"An adjustable one can be purchased at almost any pharmacy (CVS, RiteAid, Walmart, etc.)

I usually recommend an offset cane that looks like an angular question mark as opposed to a “J” cane. This is for comfort and stability.

When the cane is adjusted to the correct height, it should be around the height of the wrist crease (where the hand meets the arm) when it is next to Barry’s leg and his arm hangs down. His elbow should be slightly bent (~30 degrees) when he is holding the handle."

Do you have any experience with one of these? Any recommendations before we buy anything? Thanks

-Glenn

Glenn- how is your dad's balance? I am still walking unassisted but do have a balance issue that I'm working on in physical therapy. My husband bought me a cane to use but I am not comfortable using it. It's one that has 4 claws on the bottom for stability. I have practiced using it in the house, but I find having an aid for walking on oneside seems to throw off my balance even more. I do also have a rollator. I had my husband take it out of the box so I could test it. I found that having 2 sides to hold onto was much better for me. I was practically jogging with the rollator and felt very comfortable. For me personally when the time comes I'll be using the rollator instead of a cane. I'm sure there are Pals on the forum that are quite comfortable with a cane and will chime in, but for me personally it's not comfortable.

I have one like you described. I used it for times when I had to walk a lot ( when traveling mostly). for a long time I only had weakness in one leg and it was good for that. If both legs are weak I would worry about balance issues. The one I got actually folds which was good for plane travel as I didn’t have to surrender it to be lost in the overhead bins. it takes a decent amount of strength to fold / unfold though

Lisa,

His balance is pretty good, unless he goes for a longer walk. So for now he would use it for longer outings for the time being. He has not tried to use a cane yet but I will suggest he tests it out at the store. Where did you get yours? The 4 claws on the bottom is probably a good thing to have.

Nikki,
Where was your from? Does it have the 4 claws on the bottom as well? Are the ones that aren't foldable a pain to travel with (I don't think he will be flying anytime soon, just car rides)?

Thanks

We bought ours in Walmart. They had a variety some 4 claws some with less. They did also carry folding ones. Mine does not fold.
I hope he finds one that is comfortable for him and works.

I got mine at amazon. I don’t think you need a foldable one for the car. It was good for the plane and helpful on trains too

I don't want to be a partypooper but the cane did not help me prevent falls AT ALL. if I tripped or started to tilt I didn't have the speed or strength to right myself with the cane. I still tripped on a completely flat, hazard free floor and went down hard. I found that the only benefit of the cane was that people gave me space. I could have avoided multiple falls if I had had my rollator sooner.

I think Nona’s experience is common. It only worked for me because I used it with the afo and only had one leg involved.
I have seen people say they used trekking poles which at least give support on both sides

Nona,

I understand your concern. For now my dads grip strength is is pretty good but we have a rollator already for when the time comes. Thanks for your advise.

Nikki,

How did you know when you needed an AFO? Did the clinic mention it to you first? Thanks

No I asked for it. The orthotist ( who specialized in MND )told me most people get theirs too late for optimum benefit. I had mostly ankle weakness then, could walk but slowly and not far. At first I only used it if I was going somewhere and knew it would be a lot of walking

I'm not referring to grip strength, but reaction time, coordination, and arm strength. If he stumbles, will the cane keep him from falling?

@nona
Good point. I believe he wants to use the cane until he knows he cant or falls so he isnt "giving in" to the disease. I appreciate your posts and will keep a close eye on him.

You can only do so much and it is up to your dad. Unfortunately the way we usually find out something isn’t working for mobility is a fall. Hopefully he won’t be hurt when he does

Yea I know. I am just glad we already have a rollator for if/when he needs it. As far as manual wheelchairs go, do you just buy a standard one? They arent customized like power wheel chairs are right? The loan closet has some we can hopefully borrow in the future.

They aren't customized and loan closets are a great resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back