Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
Ind
State
Maharashtra
City
NAVI MUMBAI
Heard nuedexta or Dextromethorphan.can ease swallowing difficulties and speech problem.

My Dad (an ALS patient) apart from swallowing and speech problem has Thick Mucus problem for which he takes cough syrup...(Expectorant) to make mucus thin so it can be easily spit out.

Is Dextromethorphan (one compound of Nuedexta) a Cough Suppressant?? If so can taking it be fatal for someone who already has thick Mucus problem.

It does reduce the cough reflex, but is often used with an expectorant. So I would not assume your dad could not use both, but try and see, if he wishes to try. Does he use a suction machine? Hot liquids, soda, pineapple juice and Alka Seltzer also help some PALS here with mucus.

Best,
Laurie

I take it. It does not clear mucous for me, lke laurie said helps with supressing cough reflex..and as an als patient-- it id help my speech, swallowing, and saliva, as well as the pba for which it was prescribed. All to varying degrees. Sorry for short/non-detailed reply. finger really tired today (i type with two middle fingers)

Does your dad's expectorant have dextromethorphan in it? If so, you may want to consult with his doctor on the amount of DM he is getting. Clinic advised my PALS not to take any additional expectorant for mucous since due to the same component of DM in both as he is at the maximum already with the Nudexta. I'm interested too in figuring how to control/help mucous in additional ways other than the already tried (pineapple/papaya/seltzer, etc.). Wondering if Guaifenesin can be found on its own (to help thin mucous) and not sure if its okay with the Nudexta.

I ran a search — no known interactions between Nuedexta and Guaifenesin.
Guaifenesin is fine to take on it’s own for thinning mucus. Take with a lot of water.

I can't find Guaifenesin on its own to purchase. Mucinex has DM in it I believe.

Any other suggestions to thin out/loosen phlegm?

It may be different in Canada but here there is a plain mucinex - only guiafenesin. CVS here also sells guiafenesin as chest congestion relief tablets

Yes, it should be available separately -- likely under a drug store's house brand.

Thanks Ladies. I see it on Amazon too, just the regular one, I think I was looking at the other kinds they carry.

Has anyone here tried it? Has it helped?

Ninja — run a search here on Guaifenesin. There have been numerous posts and threads.
The other one people have tried with success for thinning mucus is AlkaSeltzer. But beware — it contains aspirin and may cause gastric bleeding.

I take both nuedexta and Guaifenesin with no ill effects. Took Alka seltzer for a while but it didn't work for me. The thing that has worked for me is beta blockers. I will create a new thread with all the pertinent information so it doesn't get buried in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back