Urination and independence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Christine. Welcome to the group. Thanks for your inputs on this.

My PALS (Kristine), accepted a urethra cath when she was totally immobile--she was probably tired of me spilling her bucket. The nurse seemed to put it in and pull it out easily, but I'm sure it was uncomfortable. I told them I couldn't help with cathing her--I spent half a century exploring that territory and still can't find a woman's urethra!

I'm no longer dragging a bag around--the cath was removed a couple weeks ago. Now I just walk around in diapers that are the size of a basketball between my legs and weigh as much as a bowling ball. With pelvic floor exercises, they say I'll be able to pee a six-foot long stream just like in my youth, within a year.

Anyone know why my experience was so painful? Is that normal? Can we recommend foley for male PALS?

Mike, I don’t think Foley catheters are normally that painful. I wonder if there may have been a small kink in the catheter (?), but more likely the tissue around the prostate was raw and angry following surgery.

For male PALS, I would think a condom catheter should be the first option. If the guy is unable to void, a Foley, or doing in and out straight caths every 6 hours could be next. Flomax (Tamsulosin) is a wonderful drug for stimulating urinary flow in men who can’t void due to prostate issues.

I plan to get a suprapubic catheter in a few months but for now started using a female urinal with a tube and bag so it holds a night’s (or day’s - I suppose ) worth of urine without any need to get up even to use my convenient bedside commode at all. Thanks, for sharing your experiences with the suprapubic catheter!!!

Doglady, does the female urinal require you to sit up, and does it require coordinated use of both hands to hold it in place? Thanks.

I had the same questions. Also, can it be elective?

KarenNWendyn and Nina. sitting up is not required. Actually I don’t think I could do it sitting up. I think that would require more foot and leg strength than I possess. For me reclining is best. And you do need to use your hands to hold it in place and not leak or at least one hand, I suppose. I’m not strong but still have some dexterity. But, not sure I understand what you mean by elective???

Oh, by the way it’s called a “Reusable Portable Female Comfort Fit Advantage Urinal System with Spill Proof Collection Bag”. This company (Advantage) has these for men too.

Well, my Foley catheter experiment is over. I had it removed today, seven days in. It wasn't awful and had its benefits, but it was constantly on my mind and though I'm far from being a hypochondriac, every little twinge or itch or cramp or caregiver error made me worry about infection. It stressed me out to worry about clean hands, spilling pee, rubber gloves, alcohol swabs. One of my caregivers is a dear but she was so nervous that we had to walk through the steps every time. It was mentally exhausting! It felt wonderful to pee in the toilet this afternoon!

I plan to get a suprapubic catheter in a few months but for now started using a female urinal with a tube and bag so it holds a night’s (or day’s - I suppose ) worth of urine without any need to get up even to use my convenient bedside commode at all. Thanks, for sharing your experiences with the suprapubic catheter!!!

Doglady,

You're going to love the suprapubic catheter! It has made my life easier and more comfortable!

:)

~Christine

Doglady,

You're going to love the suprapubic catheter! It has made my life easier and more comfortable!

:)

~Christine
Do I have any reason to fear the surgery? The g tube surgery was rough and that was three years ago.

Do I have any reason to fear the surgery? The g tube surgery was rough and that was three years ago.

Hi Nona!
I had a J tube put in and that was rough as well. My experience with the SP Catheter was very smooth - I really didn't have any discomfort. Of course it took me just a very little bit to get used to where it was placed - but my vanity went out the window awhile ago, so I did get over that. Honestly, it was an easy surgery with no complications. Be advised that you will need to have your tube changed out every four weeks - but even that is pain free and very fast! I believe that is done just to be certain that the catheter does not get 'blocked' or 'clogged' and the area is kept sterile. I wouldn't worry! I think you'll be very happy with it!

~Christine

Gawd, Mike, that experience doesn't sound right. All this time I thought men had an advantage "down there." The only experience I've had was that I had to have my urethra dilated because my bladder wasn't emptying and I had to pee every hour. Had this done twice in my 40s and it seems like I might need it again soon. It did make a huge difference that lasted a long time. Can't say it was pleasant but it was over quickly (10 minutes) and it only hurt for a day.

This time I plan on pre-medicating myself because my pain tolerance has gone way down during the past four years.

Hi Christine-
Thank you for the feedback on a SPCathete. Wondering if your insurance (Medicare?) paid for it.
Mary

Hi, Mary! So sorry for the delay! I have Medicare as my primary and Medical Mutual as my secondary. I know it was covered as I had already hit my deductible. Would you like me to see what I can find out for you? It's not a problem at ALL!

How have you been?
~Christine

Thank you, Christine. I’m doing well enough. Currently adjusting to reduced mobility and strength but things are getting figured out on safe transfers and getting help from an aid now. It’s great to hear your SPC was covered by Medicare. That’s really good news so I will keep checking into it with my doctors. If you know what the specific rationale that will get it approved that would be nice to know. I hope your summer has been a nice one!
Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back