Diagnosis
11/2011
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Yakima
Has anyone had any experience with urinary retention? Is this another muscle that can be affected by the ALS?

If you mean urgency then it might be age related. When we get older those muscles get weaker. Also, when I've had a UTI I have a sense of urgency then too.

it is possible that retention is caused by ALS, but it is safer to explore other causes and not assume it's an ALS thing first. Ask your dr ?

Oh, I just looked it up. I'd get to your doctor right away. It can cause a lot of serious problems!

Sheryl I just searched some medical research sites and yes urinary retention is common with A L S, and Mrs. Pie is spot on with her advice to see a doctor ASAP.
Urinary disorders in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis subjects.
Lopes de Carvalho ML, Motta R, Battaglia MA, Brichetto G.
Source

Italian MS Society , AISM Rehabilitation Centre, Genova , Italy.
Abstract

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (A LS ) related disorders are considered to be uncommon. We hypothesize that urinary dysfunction may occur in A L S patients in the context of spasticity of pelvic floor musculature. We recorded data on 54 subjects with A L S. All subjects were evaluated with A L S F R S and M-Ashworth Scale for lower limbs. Bladder scan procedure was performed to asses post void residual (PVR) in all subjects. Forty-one percent of subjects were symptomatic for urinary disorders and 35% of subjects had a PVR > 50 ml. Linear correlation was found between PVR and ALSFRS with a R(2) 0.95 and p = 0.025; a linear correlation was also noted between PVR and lower limbs Ashworth Scale. We conclude that urinary retention is common in A L S. Urological evaluation is indicated in ALS patients with prominent spasticity.

My PALS started out with unreal urgency, for both "bathroom issues" and now has the retention issue. Others in our group have or did experience this as well. So, official symptom or not, I truly believe it is all related.

My husband has urgency! :(

My husband suffers from urgency and quite often a very small amount of urine at a time.
As for constipation, well that is an enormous issue and only solved by suppositories, no matter how many softener/stimulant pills he takes, metamucil seems to do nothing and prune juice only tastes bad:)

Year ago my problem was the urgency..................... I started to use a larger amount of supplements (vitamin B12 , C , E , D3 , Beta Carotene , Grape seed extract................etc)
my problem is the urgency stopped !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back