Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Salmon Arm
So, I have been looking at different urinals to use with my husband while he is in his PWC, as I have found the normal one sits level and then I have to push the base down so that he is not sitting in the urine, but the ones I have are quite flimsy and cave in. I looked at the spill proof ones but they are deeper and more likely to tip towards him. Finally as I was walking by some urinals at the drug store I noticed the female urinal, and thought I would give it a try as the longer neck would allow me to get the bulk of the body of the urinal in front of the seat cushion. It works really well, and it is made of much sturdier plastic. Though I would let you guys know in case anyone is having the same difficulties.

Paulette

I never even thought to look at them!

I got the spill-proof one, but of course it is only spill-proof once the urine has gone down into the urinal ... doh!

I have nursed forever and never had even seen a female urinal before. Maybe it can work for me on long trips? LOL

I am going to see if they have any when I got mine.

Is it easier to use in the bed too? That's the main place we have trouble as he only sits up in bed, never lays on a side.

I just ordered this bottle-type urinal from Walmart (only $3.97). Haven't received it yet, so don't know how well it works. But I thought I might be able to use it while sitting in a wheelchair (and wearing pants with an elastic waistband). We'll see.

Yes he can use it be as well, and it was very cheap, less than $10.00. It gets the bulk of the bottle further away from his body, so his legs don't have to be so far apart, and it cups the area where the male urinal doesn't. Works great in the PWC. I have now split the seams of his pants in the crotch so that I don't have to pull his pants down, and snaps can be put in so that they stay closed when you aren't using the bottle.
Paulette

Tillie,
We have found positioning in bed to be key when using a urinal (no side-lying for my husband either). We use a Uribag or the long-neck one available from Amazon from the UK. We raise his head to whatever's comfortable (it's always up some anyway), tilt (slope) the entire bed so head is up/feet are lower and lower the legs as well. I don't think it would work any other way. But he also has his slip sheet for his daily pivot turn under the fitted sheet, and under that a protective mattress pad cover (tencel/vinyl) so that the mattress pad, which would be the most impossible layer to clean since it's foam, doesn't get wet.

I don't much like that urinal you ordered, the neck is so short!

Our urinal has a pretty long neck, and that is so important for using in a chair or bed.

Next time his sewing daughter visits I'm going to have some clips here and get her to split all his pants. I hate sewing and avoid it like the plague!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back