00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Edinburgh
Good evening

I’m sorry to trouble this forum for some advice but I am very anxious about the symptoms I am experiencing.

Over the last month, my right tricep/ shoulder has felt tight/ awkward or weaker than normal when performing abduction movements.
I have read the ‘please read’ and I understand ‘feeling’ doesn’t mean ALS but would this be an example of early onset of weakness?

I saw a physio today who advised there is weakness in abduction movements but felt it was due to inflammation.

I can still lift my arm above my head, make all normal movements and lift heavy objects but my right arm has felt weaker/ stiff and as if I have a ‘dead arm’ when making certain movements.

Do you think this could be ALS?
Also does early onset come on like this or do movements become impossible instantly?

Thanks for your time

I would see a physician who can baseline your strength and movement (the crux of things in MND) and monitor your situation. ALS is very unlikely.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie, if it was early onset ALS would a feeling of pain or tightness when making the movement be a symptom or would this point away from ALS?

Hi
it is unusual for ALS to start in the shoulder as limb onset is more commonly distally ( hand or lower leg). sensory ( feeling) symptoms are also very unusual at onset. However, most importantly there are so many other infinitely more common reasons for a shoulder problem that your mind should not have jumped to ALS. As Laurie said it is very unlikely. Just go see your gp and get assessed and please stop googling

Just following up here, spoke to my GP who thinks it is shoulder impingement due the pain only when abducting and will monitor the next 3 months.

Would a full range of motion and the presence of pain point away from ALS onset in the shoulder?

Yes. If it persists, I would ask for a referral to an orthopedist for evaluation.

Definitely all points completely away from ALS which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back