robertmanville

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Good Morning,
I posted a few months ago. I tend to have ups and downs with my symptoms. Rheumy thinks i have an inflammatory arthritis. I have two follow up questions - I hope you can take the time to answer them to provide me with some peace of mind:
A- I have a constant dull ache around my wrists - all the time and my hands falls asleep at night. The feeling gets betters when I wear a wrist band. Is this something common?
B- I still after two years of symptoms have a dull ache near my hamstring. It hurts when I walk or sit in particular.
C- when I wake up in the morning, I have bad Achilles heel pain that gets better throughout the day but I still have a weird numb sensation in my feet.
I have not lost any function and feel I got to the bottom of my issues but get second doubts because so many symptoms overlap with ALS.
Thank you for your time.

I don’t believe any of those relate to ALS so unclear why you speak of overlap with ALS. Are there PALS who get those symptoms? I expect so we aren’t immune from other issues.
the hallmark of ALS is clinical weakness ( failure). You have a working diagnosis that is more consistent with your symptoms follow your doctor’s advice

What has your neuromuscular said? Have you sought one out? None of your symptoms overlap with ALS, so you can take that worry off the table.

Hello Best,
I went to a neuro 24 months ago. Just walked in got an appointment and he scared the me after doing the emg so I left after he told me I had an abnormal emg in my left leg which is the reason why I went to meet him in the first place. Every time I would sit, I would have to take off my shoe because my foot would fall asleep. Also when I would bend forward to pickup my kid, I would lose full strength in my left leg. I went to another neuro a few months later. He was much nicer. He did the same test and said he wasn’t concerned at all but I never got the results. That was 22 months ago or so. Fast forward to today, I am still able to work and do everything but I get severe fatigue spurts, tendon pain especially in my Achilles hamstring and wrist. My rheumy said he was sur I had an inflammation illness but what bugs me is the first neuro I met two years ago. Should have never walked in. I should have followed the steps rather than by passing my gp. That’s the story. I’m realize als goes downwards. 24 months ago I felt like I couldn’t even shave or pick anything up. Now I can but with regular muscle fatigue. But after rest I feel normal. It’s a yo-yo. What concerns me is that everything I have leads back to als. Take for instance the wrist pain. I feel I have tendinitis but when I read online it’s very similar to carpal which seems to have lots of misdiagnosis to als. I get relief when I wrap a band around my wrist. Same for butt pain and Achilles but when I read, maybe the tightness from my als is causing this????
I walked into the neuro muscular doc 24 months ago without my gp because I was concerned of the pain and weird feelings. It wasn’t because I couldn’t move or lost function.
Help please.

Last edited:
Sounds nothing at all like ALS. EMGs can be abnormal for many, many reasons and the last being ALS. Hope that helps. Anything further should really be addressed by a professional knowledgeable in whatever is going on with you (NOT ALS).

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back