Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
I made a point to stay off of this site since my last post until my follow up neuro exam yesterday. Last neuro exam was January 2016. My neurologist did the clinical exam doing various strength tests, sensory tests, cognitive tests, and then of course reflexes. At the end of everything, she said your exam was pretty good for the most part. I asked her to clarify that comment and she said your reflexes have increased since last time. I was caught off guard so I didn't get a chance to ask her as many follow up questions about it as I should've so I have a message out to her this morning. My ALS concerns were heightened due to this reflex change finding on top of the year plus long symptoms. Are reflex changes a cause of concern for ALS? Could stress or anxiety lead to increased reflexes in your knowledge?

My neuro left it up to me if I wanted to do another EMG. Told me right now that in lieu of my symptoms (pain in wrists and fingers bi lateral, tightness in calf and thigh muscles both legs 24/7, twitching all over, tightness in palate, tongue issues, etc.) and reflex changes she can't take ALS off the table and need to continue to monitor. Last EMG was in September 2015 which was clean. I have no idea what to do right now. Keep getting more testing or let God's will unfold.

Sorry for posting again......my wife is 6 months pregnant and don't want to stress her out more with my concerns. She already has had some health complications with the pregnancy. I know you guys are a good resource for giving good insight and opinions on ALS which I've taken to heart before. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Am I correct in understanding that you saw the neuro in January and waited until to July to ask for clarification? Twitching and tightness do not sound like ALS. A clean EMG is a great sign. With a baby on the way, your anxiety and stress levels are probably heightened. What a wonderful, positive thing to focus your energy on.

Thank you for the reply.

My last exam with this neuro was January 2016 where I had a clean clinical exam including normal reflexes. She wanted to see me 6 months from then which was yesterday where I had the increased reflexes. I've had completely clean clinical exams up until yesterday.

Ah, got it! Still doesn't sound like ALS.

Increased reflexes as the only finding mean nothing. Can occur just because but are particularly common when anxious

It means nothing, you have grabbed a single comment and are ready to run with it.

I think you need to think about your wife and unborn child and concentrate on supporting her through her own health complications that could actually be life threatening. I wonder if you go into anxiety about that situation? (rhetorical, best to walk out the door now, your family needs you)

Anxiety can cause VERY brisk reflexes. My neuro has brisk reflexes, especially when he has a busy day. He also has twitches. He is not the least bit worried about having ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back