Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Delaware
A couple weeks ago I posted here, extremely freaked out because I had went to see an ortho doctor about leg pain and he ended up referring me to neuro after throwing out some terrifying possibilities (MS, Brain Tumor, ALS).

I did like I promised in my post and (almost) completely pushed any worries out of my mind till my appointment yesterday, and now I am here for the update.

According to the neurologist, I am 100% healthy (Well at least neurologically). She is honestly at a loss for what caused the ortho to send me to her. The weird reflexes he said I had? She said they were completey normal to her. The babinski reflex? Don't have it. She said he may have done that wrong, because I told her that when he did it, it tickled, whereas when she did it, it was kind of like an uncomfortable pressure, anyways she says that the tickling feeling may have made me try and pull my foot away, making it look like my toe was going up.

The balance issues he saw? They were fine. Except of course the heel to toe walk which I couldn't pass if my life depended it on.

She shined a super bright light in my eyes, and said everything there looked perfectly normal as well.

She also tested my strength, and sensation of feeling both which were great. The only bad thing she could find was a little weakness in my right ankle which she attributed to the fact that I dislocated it 4 years ago and never went to physical therapy like I was supposed to, and even if it's not that she said it definitely was not neuro.

So she sent me home with a clean bill of health, refusing to run any expensive tests on someone showed absolutely NO signs of any kind of neurological disorder.

So what have I learned from this? A. Doctors need to stick to their own specialty and if they do need to make a referral they should do it without spouting out what their untrained opinion is.
B. I need to learn to stop panicking.

Once again I want to say thank you to everyone who listened to my freak out a couple weeks ago, and helped me calm down (especially Toto) and from the bottom of my heart I wish you all the best of luck.

Great news Kiddo! Thanks for the update! :)

Great news, thanks for letting us know. I wish Toto was reading this, might make her feel better!

Helen, a little late but I found it.

Forgetmenot, I am very happy for you. I'm glad I was able to help.

This not directed at you all, just one particular person:

One satisfied customer, let's see how many others!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back