03/2017
Country
US
State
FL
City
North Port
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a while and thought I would come on and give you a life update. Things had been going really well for me and my family. I went back to school for my Masters in Education and in general starting taking care of myself. Well long story short, I went in for my first ever mammogram a couple of weeks ago. Low and behold, there is a problem. So I go back this past Friday for another mammogram and ultrasound. They said they found small calcifications in groups around my breast. So now off I go to get a MRI and biopsy done later this month. Everyone I have spoken with says this is not going to be cancer, but I can't help but worry... I know this forum is for ALS, but was hoping for some guidance.

Congrats on the grad degree!

You can stop by here any time and post on any life topic. Even "suspicious" calcification on mammos is unlikely to be cancer. Try not to worry.

Best,
Laurie

So sorry about the new worry you have at the moment.

I’m thrilled to hear you are back in school. That’s so awesome!

We shall see. I have researched too much already. I am 43 and no history of breast cancer in my family.

Thank you Sue for the encouraging comment.

Thank you laurie for putting my mind at ease.

It would truly suck if anything was wrong.

I went through a number of repeat mammograms and ultrasound over the past year and a half, and fortunately it turned out to be nothing, but I do remember the additional stress it caused. Please try to relax.

Congratulations on the degree. That's wonderful.

After what we've experienced, I think that we might always be hyper-vigilant about any potential medical issues. Take a deep breath, and please let us know how things turn out.

I will def keep everyone posted. My biopsy is scheduled for the 22nd at 2:00. I don't know how long it will take to get the results though.

All the best to you. Wishing for you that whatever they are seeing is as harmless what they detected on my pictures. :)

My wife just went the very same procedures (biopsy) and etc. She was told
pretty much as you were told and... it was not cancer.

Including a cyst on her ovary that was not cancer. It all came about from her
having a kidney stone.

Know what you are going through... from a husbands aspect. :) You'll be ok.

Al,
Good to hear. I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

I went through that a few years ago — a small cluster of calcification was noted on a routine mammogram. I was convinced I had breast cancer, but fortunately the biopsy showed benign changes.

Radiologists will push for a biopsy based on what they consider a cancer risk to be anywhere between 3-98%. Obviously that’s a huge range, so they want to do whatever it takes to not miss cancer and to decrease their liability.

Imaging techniques are more sensitive than ever, so the tiniest of abnormalities get picked up. As women get older, the breast tissues break down, and often they do so by releasing calcium. Calcium in the tissues can be seen on mammograms.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thank you very much Karen.

Wonderful news! So happy to hear!

Congratulations!!! What a relief it must be.

great news Char!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back