11/2008
Country
US
State
ut
City
park city
Hi everyone!
Ok..in the last two weeks since starting the anabolic steroid cycle..my husband has gained 6.5 pounds and has gained multiple inches in shoulders, chest, biceps, and forearms...and...has gained 1.5 inches on his left quad (the leg where his drop foot started after his accident) and 2 inches in his right quad..and I am seeing very slight definition on those quad muscles that wasn't there before.

He has increased his weight lifted on legs by 5 pounds each week...which doesn't seem like much until you put it into the perspective of percentages...that's a 20% increase from where he was when he was "diagnosed" rather quickly. He's also increase on his resistance level on the bike and his resistance level on the springs in his pilates.

Am I right in thinking that in als, once the muscle is gone...there is no coming back?

Is this a good sign that we may be right...that his problems might in fact NOT be als...but rather a combination of his severe spinal cord injury and an unknown virus that's being treated with the antibiotic?

I feel like an odd one out here trying to prove he doesn't have als instead of thinking that everything points to it....but something in my gut says this neuro is SO WRONG and dismissed the other things that were going on and jumped to this conclusion too quickly.......

Any thoughts?

THANK YOU!
Tracy

Tracy, your gut instincts sound good to me ! I have never heard of ALS patients being able to rebuild lost muscle. :) :)

(And it is so refreshing to read a message from someone who is NOT trying to convince the world they have ALS!)

This is really exciting news! Please keep us posted on his progress.

Tracy,

That's great!
Please keep us posted.

Hi Tracy,
Glancing back at old threads where anabolic steroids were discussed, the concensus was that anabolic steroids wouldn't work on muscles already damaged by ALS, but likely would have effect on undamaged ones even with ALS. I think you said that the physio had seen atrophy in hubby's legs? Was the atrophy in the quads? If so, his response seems to be very good news. My fingers are crossed, and I am praying for your husband. Keep us posted.
Laurel

Thank You!

I appreciate the good thoughts and prayers so much!

I will definitely keep you posted. It's too early (only two weeks into his cycle) to be too hopeful...be we are in fact hopeful anyway.

He's even doing things like walking heel to toe forward AND backward and balancing on one foot which he couldn't do before and I believe are good signs too. He's still a bit wobbly but he couldn't do it at all before.

Tracy,

That's awesome. I think adding muscle and regaining mobility are both great signs. What a nice piece of holiday news.

Robert

Thanks Robert!

We went to see our family MD this morning to start having progress documented by a professional (along with documented strength gains from his personal trainer and his pilates physical therapist). He was amazed at the difference.

He isn't very familiar with als, but said from what he understood...we shouldn't be seeing the mobility and strength gains from muscles that were so atrophied.

We'll have blood tested in two weeks for liver function from the steroids as to check and make sure whatever virus he had is gone.

We're taking our MRI's and other documents down to another neuro in the city on Wed and hope to get in soon.

We were told that if this progression continues that we may not even need other testing to completely overrule the initial als diagnosis.

Then it's just dealing with the FAA trying to get his pilot's license back...with the diagnosis that was given...he's officially grounded....so that may be a pain...but that's a minor bump if we're actually ok!

Still hopeful and praying hard!
Tracy

This is soooooooooooooooooo good to hear. Praying and hoping for his complete recovery here, too!

Tracy, that is very encouraging news. Keep cautiously optimistic that the initial diagnosis was in error. Keep us posted and lean on us when you feel the need.

Tracy,

That's hugh!

I am a engineer and a former pilot, I lost my medical about ten years ago when I had an aneurysm. I have tried to get my license back but grew tired of fighting the FAA and have given up. My current diagnosis of some sort of motor neuron disease really squashes any flicker of getting my license back. I still fly occasionally but I have to do it with an instructor. The FAA flight surgeon is very rigid, but your husband probally has a better chance than I did.

Please keep us posted about your husband. Good luck to you both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back