Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Santa Barbara
. . I have been not too active on the forum lately. It has become hard for me to type more than a sentence or two. I mostly find myself offering condolences when people have passed, which is always sad. But at one time I was pretty active here so I thought I'd post an update. Also I'm trying Dasher again for the first time in a while so this is a test of writing longer messages.

Basically my progression has been average. Diagnosed in August 2009, got my wheelchair in January 2010, although I was walking a little through most of 2010. My speech declined pretty steadily until I finally gave it up this past summer. I had to stop typing a few months earlier. Luckily I got my Dynavox in December of 2010, so I had plenty of time to practice before I needed it. If I had one piece of advice for people who intend to live with this disease, it would be to look ahead and prepare early.

I have never looked on my ALS as a big tragedy. To me, it is a challenge. I've done my best to ignore it. I kept working at my software job until February, 2010, when my speech and typing got too bad. That led to an extraordinary strokeof good luck, when my employerwasacquired by a much larger company in mid2010, and we were allowed to sign up for full benefits. I was able to get a great long term care insurance plan even though I knew I would be needing it soon. As a result we get 4 hours of in-home nursing almost every day, and our nurse is a real gem.

So now I'm mostly paralyzed. I can move my arms an inch or two, and my neck works okay, but that's about it. I've still been able to swallow some ice cream, but I'm giving it up because of aspiration concerns.

A year ago I had a tracheostomy -- way too early. I still use the vent only at night. My breathing is fine when I'm awake, even lying on my back. And the trache has been nothing but trouble, coughing, suction, and scar tissue. At least I was relatively strong for the surgery and hospital stay, and it's a relief not to struggle with the blpap mask.

I spend my days browsing the web, reading ebooks, listening to music, watching TV and movies -- pretty much what I used to do when relaxing at home. Of course, this idyllic existence is only possible because of the enormous sacrifices of my wfe Fran, who is far less sanguine about our circumstances. I wish I could do more to comfort her. And then there is our son, who has put his life on hold for me. I am under no illusions about how lucky I am in the midst of catastrophe.I have always been lucky; and aside from a small misfortune that hardly bears mention, I continue to be.

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about all of your progression and struggles but very happy to hear your family has been so supportive and that your attitude has remained upbeat. I hope Dasher allows you to leave more posts and to visit us more often. As part of our ALS family I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

I have always been lucky; and aside from a small misfortune that hardly bears mention, I continue to be.

Hal, I'm short on words. But, I think you meant I continue to be ME, not, I continue to be. You are more than that.

I wish you and your family the best and it looks like Dasher works well for you. Good luck, my friend.

Thank you so much for the update! I am glad you are doing well. As frustrating as it is that you got the trache early, be glad you did. Terry had a pulmonologists appointment 10 days before died. We were going back the week he died to discuss when to go in for the trache. You will be prepared if your diaphram gives out suddenly. Terry was only on BiPap at night when he died. I'm also glad the benefits worked out. That is fantastic. Fortunately, we had a long term care plan that paid us directly. It made my staying home full time to care for Terry so much easier. Like you, we had a fabulous CNA that came daily. I cannot imagine how I would have handled everything without her! Good luck to you, Fran and your son. I, too , hope Dasher brings you back more regularly!

HalFin,
Thanks for the detailed update. I am new to the forum and MND diagnosis. It's encouraging to hear your perspective on such a tough challenge. Thanks for the advice on preparing. I think I will call my insurance company tomorrow and see what I can find out about long term care. Blessings to you and your sweet family.
Cindy

Halfin, so good to hear from you again. Thank you for the update. So sorry for all your struggles. But you sound as if you are hitting them head on with determination of will. Hope you can talk with us more with the new Dasher. My prayers are with you and your family for peace and comfort. Hang in there friend. {{HUGS}}

Just glad to know that you're still with us, Hal.

It's good to hear from you! You sound good all things considered. Don't be a stranger Hal. We miss you when you're gone. You and your family are heros!

I've always liked your avatar so it was so fun to see your name pop up with the cool pic and to rec. an update! When my husband was first Dx he wanted to know if others were active and fit because it was so strange to him that he was diagnosed and yet was so healthy. Of course we realized shortly thereafter that anyone can get it. Anyway, I was able to tell him about your picture (he doesn't use the computer) and some of your posts. Thank you so much for the update. So glad you are using Dasher. Thank you for your empathetic words regarding Fran--what love you have for one another. Many blessings to you both and to your son! Keep writing would love to hear from you again.

I'm glad to read that you are doing okay. It seems like yesterday that you posted about your last ski trip and how wonderful that was. Things sound hard for Fran, but she is a remarkable woman and you three are blessed to have one another. I hope you can write more often.
Laurel

Hal,

I've been a great admirer of yours from your first post. Thanks for updating us on how things have been going. I have been wondering how you've been getting along and have missed your presence on the forum. You have such an encouraging voice!

Please post when you can.

Hal,
Keep us updated. We all care about you and miss your posts.

Thank you for sharing through your update. It's great that Fran and your son are there for you. I think you being there through all of this, tracheostomy and all, and the love you seem to share with your family is how you're giving back - how you're doing more. Yasmin

Hal so glad to read your post. Glad you still have your positive outlook, and hope to read many more posts from you..

You have a very good attitude towards this, I hope you continue to do well with your breathing. Come visit us in the tea room, you never know what we will be talking about next !

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back