Diagnosis
3/2008
Country
US
State
ma
City
weymouth
Hi, just thought I'd provide an update to my Dad's condition. I reported in April my 88 year old Dad (now 89) could not hold objects in his right hand and could not stand up without support.
His left hand is now pretty weak but he can gingerly feed himself, though holding objects is becoming difficult. His walking with a walker is limited to a short hallway journey most days, it is extremely slow and his legs don't move properly. Getting up from the wheel chair to the walker is getting very difficult. This weekend he mentioned his voice seemed like it stuttered , but I could not notice it. His progression based on what I've read seems rather rapid but I don't know. His mental attitude is better than mine would be but he does show sadness and frustration occasionally.

His next appointment is in three weeks.

Be glad for a good mental attitude I know that helps. It is tho' such a sad and cruel illness and no doubt you know the sadness is normal and completely appropriate (and I don't mean this in a patronising way at all- more agreeing with you it gets to us all). Is your dad taking Riluzol AKA Rilutek? I have a feeling and I may be wrong here that progression may be fast with older people. My Uncle had it in his seventies and the progression was very fast. Not sure how the progression is going with my own dad who is on Riluzol to help slow the progression down.
Thank you for updating on your dad shared experience helps others.
All the best
Dee

Hey Rich!

Thank you for filling us in!

I am so very happy your Dad seems to be handling this with such courage!

You take care of yourself, as well, and don't let this monster rob you of your hope!

your dad seems to be at the same stage as my mom. My mom just turned 67. She was just diagnosed the first of may. But they thinkshe had symptons for the last 2 years. They say she is in the final stages. How long has your dad had this?

Hi Digby, my dad first showed signs of unsteadiness in his right leg back in October last year, he was diagnosed in mid to late February of this year. Good luck with your mom and yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back