Country
US
State
TN
City
Memphis
First thread
Second thread

A year and a half ago, I had fasciculations and odd twitching, humming sensations, etc. Went to GP, referred to neuro who discovered I had hyperreflexes everywhere. Very brisk to the point I had trouble writing, etc and my knee reflex was extreme. I made the mistake of searching on Google and convinced myself I had ALS. Found my way to this site and got some very helpful advice.

After three EMGs, blood work, MRI and a trip to Mayo I was told it was all anxiety based. I found it difficult to believe that my symptoms could be caused by anxiety but it's 100% true. After treating my health anxiety with CBT w/a trained mental health professional, using meditation and other techniques I'm quite a bit better. Twitching, etc. has almost disappeared. I'm still hyperreflexive almost two years later but it's a process and I'm still working on it.

Please take my advice - relax. These symptoms are almost certainly anxiety based and these symptoms without weakness do NOT mean ALS. I spent nearly two years of my life in a constant state of panic for nothing. I do return to these forums to see if I can help others the way the people on this forum helped me. Treat your anxiety! Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back