Charlotte31

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
SE
Hello again,

I tried to post this in my old thread but it was closed.

I have had symptoms for 8 months and in march I had an EMG done. I have tried to get in touch with a neurologist to discuss the results, but in Sweden that is very difficult. We also don't receive the table with the data from the emg. All I have is notes from my medical journal online. It is in Swedish so I had to translate it.

Here:
"Motor neurography shows normal findings in the median and ulnar, examined on the right side. Slight conduction velocity reduction in the elbow on the right side but otherwise normal findings including normal F-response. Fibularis and tibialis u a bilaterally.

Sensory neurography shows normal findings in the medianus and ulnaris on the examined right side and suralis bilaterally.

Repetitive nerve stimulation: Examined in ulnaris / ADM right. Normally found at 10 stimuli 3 Hz at rest, after exertion and one minute after exercise.

EMG:
Triceps right: Limit neurogenic findings with discreetly elevated amplitude, nothing fresh.
Interosseus dorsalis 1, deltoid, biceps, tibialis anterior and vastus lateralis right: Normal EMG image.

Ultrasound nerve:
With ultrasound, the ulnar nerve is seen normally in the right wrist and up to the elbow, at the elbow level slightly enlarged, lying nicely in place during flexion in the elbow. The median is depicted u a."

I don't understand this at all. I thought elevated amplitude points towards als?

/Charlotte

Previous thread

According to the report, your EMG is stable with only limited abnormal findings in your tricep, and amplitude that is not accompanied by other EMG abnormalities is not of concern as regards ALS. I would encourage you to consider the factors we talked about earlier, including nutrition and sleep. When these are lacking, everything looks darker and minor pain is more bothersome.

Many people have mild ulnar nerve dysfunction and it does not cast a shadow over their lives. Targeted exercise with a physio may help.

I understand.
They said that it could be because of an old C7 injury but there are no clinical findings. I don’t know if that is good or bad.

Does elevated amplitude mean reinnervation? Could that be the start of something? I feel so lost in all of this but in Sweden you are almost never able to talk to an neurologist or get the full report.

As Lgelb tried to assure you, the EMG is stable.
Many people have a few things show up on an EMG without any disease or serious injury, and without it meaning it is 'the start of something'.
You haven't presented with ALS symptoms from the beginning of this process, so continuing to look for this disease is now your decision. I'm afraid we can't go down that path any further with you.

You son is growing up while you pursue this and you will never get this time back again. Don't miss out on this time being fully present with him.

Please return to your general doctor and talk about your mental health, and the suggestions of examining nutrition, sleep, exercise and support as a new mother. Concentrating on these things is far more likely to bring you back to health than being certain you are terminally ill. I wish you the best.

Thank you so much for everything ❤️ I will let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back