Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Oakland
I have been here before, although it has been months since my last post. I have been doing well on anti-anxiety meds, but it has been a year since onset of my "symptoms" and some new things have presented since then.
As a reminder this started one year ago with left hand/arm pain and writing issues. Not that I couldn't write, but my handwriting got super sloppy and I started to have to try very very hard to write nicely. This has remained unchanged but has not gotten worse.
Other symptoms included:
- Body wide twitching (has mostly stopped but still comes and goes)
-Muscle Pain (all over)
- Perceived atrophy (Doctor did not acknowledge as atrophy)

I had and EMG and NCS in my arms and all was normal

Recently I have noted the following

-Constant throat clearing, and phlegm in my throat (I saw in a post somewhere that this was an inset symptom for bulbar)
-The other day I was walking down the street carrying my (tantruming) toddler and a bag of Mexican food. The sidewalk was uneven and I fell, hard. I have never in my life fallen like this before. A few days later I was running up an escalator and I stumbled a tiny bit and my left glute got a cramp in it. Again, never happened before.
- hard time enunciating certain consonants (m, n, ng. Sometimes b, and d). No one has mentioned that I sound like I am slurring, but I am super sensitive to my speech and i feel like I am.

I can walk on my toes and my heels. As a matter of fact there is really nothing that I can't do. My left hand feel weaker than my right (i am left hand dominant and in a very writing intensive job).

So now for my questions: is it typical for something like MND/ALS to just kind of linger for a solid year with no progression? And would it hop around to different parts of my body like it has been? As I am reading this I am thing probably no, but I was hoping for further input.

Plateaus happen. A year long plateau would be unusual. But you were cleared by the neurologist anyway.

No it does not hop around. It starts in one place and spreads.

Bonus comment. Those letters you identify as problems are not the ones the ALS doctors seem to concentrate on. There is a nonsense word they ask me to repeat over and over. It contains certain sounds and your list did not include them. I don't want to post the word and give people a new thing to self test

If you are having issues see your doctor

Scared33, you're still not describing ALS at all. In 6 months of posts, you haven't described ALS, and your doctors have ruled it out.

Pay attention to yourself: "there is really nothing that I can't do." That's a really good sign.

Also, you're right to say ALS doesn't hop around.

Have confidence in your rational thoughts, and try not to let your anxiety get the best of you.

Again, we need to ask you to stay off this board.

Ok. Thank You. I appreciate the responses.

I also forgot- l, and r sometimes pose problems...

Scared I suggest you pick ten of the "Do I have ALS?" threads by others and read them through. This should give you a pretty clear reality check. Congratulations on being cleared of ALS.

Hi. I know it's been a few weeks. One more thing I forgot to add: I have constant throat clearing. Admittedly I have had post nasal drip since like 2nd grade, but I have never had these issues with throat clearing. I read that some experienced this symptom with bulbar onset. Is this a thing?

Scared, no, that's not an ALS symptom. You still don't have ALS. Please pursue your health concerns elsewhere. This website here is a waste for you and wastes our time, too.

All true -- closing this thread. Scared, I think your anxiety meds might need an update. Get that done. That's your action step for feeling better, nothing here. All the best.

--Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back