Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
UJ
City
London
Hi

I was on here at the start of the year to follow up with the results of my EMG in January - this was done at8 or 9 points on the right side, and was what I believe is considered "clean" - it showed fascs at 3 points but nothing else. That was after circa 2.5 years of twitching and lots of stiffness and pains, it was my 2nd EMG (first was in Jan 2016 and less extensive, a mixture or left leg and right arm)

My various issues have continued in the interim - won't bore you with them, but the past 6 weeks or so I've noticed issues with my right arm. The wrist has been very painful - even when i've not been near a mouse at the computer for a couple of weeks, and up the side of the forearm, as well as a radiating pain from the shoulder. The odd feeling I have is that it's almost like the hand isn't there/isn't attached to me. The joints - shoulder and wrist, now make a “cracking” sound.

My right is my weaker arm - i'm left-handed - and to be honest doesn't perform any weaker than before in as far as I can measure. But it does feel less "precise" when for example handling money/change or typing, taking things out of my pockets etc. It twitches, yes, but then so does a fair bit of my body and I know that of itself isn't diagnostic of anything. My tongue has also started twitching, having never done so previously in ad far as I’m aware - often feels like someone’s rubbing the tongue with sandpaper.

In line with what I expect to be the advice from this forum, I am seeing my gp/pcp next week about the arm. The question I have here is, would it be recommended that I ask for a further neuro referral? Two of the EMG points were in my right arm (between the thumb and index finger on the back of the hand, and the bicep)

You're doing the right thing by seeing your PCP.

The "odd feeling" cracking and radiating pain have nothing to do with ALS.

Show the EMG results to your PCP, but I see no reason to push for more neuro consults. Let your PCP decide which way to go.

You might want to ask your PCP to refer you to a rheumatologist if he/she can't help you. Lots of conditions can cause pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back