US
State
Texas
City
Houston
This is my original thread -

Do I Have ALS? Is This ALS? - ALS/MND Support Group Forums
/41308-possible-tongue-atrophy.html

I have gone to my rheumatologist and he found nothing... Which I wasn't expecting but thanked God it was.

However, my speech seems to be getting worse. I stumble over words, get stuck trying to say them, jumble them up, and leave them out. At least 10 to 12 times a day. If not more. No one else notices it and still no slurring/nasal beyond congestion that comes/goes. I thought it was my TMJ causing my stuttering but my ENT doesn't think so. He also says TMJ couldn't cause my tongue aches.

Something else new is trouble swallowing. Constant feeling of lump in throat and throat tightness. I do have LPR GERD which is what I've been trying to attribute it to. My ENT scoped me to find GERD ulcers on my throat and larynx. It has gotten better over the last few days. With the speech issues though, I've become concerned. My ENT mentioned dysarthia and dysphagia.

My tongue seems to pass bedside swallow tests and looks normal to my GP and dentist.

I've also been having some slight balance issues but I think that's from over worked muscles. Idk anymore. I'm scheduled for a brain MRI with contrast and a swallow study.

I had the EMG on my left arm and NCV on my left arm and leg that came back totally normal. Also my clinical exam which though didn't involve my face was completely normal. I'm starting to worry again.... I know I probably shouldn't.... Could all this be from stress or could it be bulbar?

All this can be caused by GERD. The GERD is probably aggravated by stress, making everything worse.

The good news is that you don't have ALS.

Thanks for giving us the good report. You don't need to be on this forum. It will only add to your existing stress.

There's a book called "Dropping Acid." It's a lifestyle change for those with GERD. Read that book instead of these threads.

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back