Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Please remember that you can use the report button if you receive unwanted visitor messages or private messages. It is helpful if you do so as the moderators can and will intervene if there is a pattern. Be aware that sometimes the person is messaging multiple members so it is helping others when you let us know.

You are never obliged to reply. If it is a DIHALS know there is a caution in their sticky that such messaging may be intrusive

Last edited:
I'm guilty of replying to PMs from folks passing through. I guess it comes from my former experience with extreme anxiety and depression. I always try to give them wise counsel and encourage them to work with their doctors, etc. If they continue to ask the same questions, I politely tell them I can no longer answer their questions.

Now, if I couldn't still type fast, I'd have to turn them away.

You have every right to answer if you wish Kim. Do let us know if anyone is a pest to you. Maybe even, if you don’t mind, pm one of the mods if you don’t want to report the initial overture. There are times when, as now, we get a single complaint but suspect a pattern

Nikki, where do I find the “report” button? I did PM a mod a couple times for unsolicited DIHALS PMs. Is pressing the “report” button the preferred way?

The triangle with the exclamation point. It is at the top right of the message box. For posts it is bottom left. Reporting it will create a record and allow all the mods to see what has been written. It also creates a mod discussion

We are not censors and if people are happy to get pms from dihals that is ok but most find it annoying and intrusive and we ask dihals not to do it. The only ways we know it is happening is if we are told or if we happen to see it as an activity under a profile. We think this particular person messaged at least half a dozen PALS and CALS but you are the only one who has reported them.

If they have legitimate questions they should be posting them publicly. If they are asked and answered they should not be torturing members to massage their anxiety

You can turn off visitor messages and limit your private messages to friends. You can also turn off pms from everyone except mods but you are stuck with us

Last edited:
thanks Nikki and yes we do get some at times that spew it out to a lot of people!

Mostly what I do is look to see if they have a DIHALS thread. If they do and I reply rather than privately.

However, occasionally I have replied directly to them.

If I think the message sounds like one they have sent to more people I usually report them.

You mods do a wonderful job, there is a lot of housework - sweeping, mopping and picking up broken glass that we don't see xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back