Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
pa
City
douglassville
Hello,

Looking for some info, help? I've lost most movement in my right hand progressively over the past 5 years. I am 34 yrs old. 1 year ago I had several MRi's and EMG's to find cause for hand loss. unfounded. I have muscle atrophy of my right hand. During this time I became unable to walk. Not sure why- mainly right leg problem. Saw several doctors and found to have a syrinx in my spine- doctors do not think this is causing my issues. Symptoms lasted for 6 months- put on muscle relaxers and a TENS. Balance was an issue in those 6 months as well. Symptoms cleared up on own last november- except for right hand. All blood work came back normal, MRI- normal, Lyme- normal. Still feeling pretty good, have noticed some "cloudy" vision. Right hand still muscle loss. My doctor is going to do a tendon transfer to get some use of my right hand fingers and wrist. Surgery is in 2 weeks? A little nervous, does this sound right. My neurologist mentioned MS, AlS- said it takes awhile to detect. I stopped seeing him since my symptoms had gotten better. Welcome any opinions- Until last year had not been to a doctor since my teens. Very healthy, not depressed, no stress.

Thanks!

ALS symptoms don't go away. Once here they stay. vision problems not a usual symptom. It doesn't really sound like ALS to me.

AL.

Grr, it ate my entire reply.

It's very unlikely to be ALS--but I'd certainly want a cause found before anyone started cutting on me! My neuro specifically told me to NOT let them do any surgery on my hand (with similar loss of function and atrophy) until I get a diagnosis.

Why are they considering surgery if the EMG/NCV was clear? i'm a bit confused.

MS symptoms can come and go. But--also small strokes can affect only one part of a body--in my case, it was only my right hand--it was completely dead and useless for over 6 months--slowly came back to life and is almost back to normal now, 3 years later. mine was caused by a small stroke, they believe.

If ALS had been the cause of your hand problems for five years, you'd have more than just a disabled hand. Not mention, you wouldn't wouldn't have normal EMGs -- which is what I think you meant when you said the MRIs and EMGs being "unfounded".

Thanks for the replies. My MRI was unfound, my EMG came back with muscle loss. But could not link anything to loss of function with my hand. I didn't completely understand results from EMG. At the time I had it done, I just had hand loss- no other symptoms.

Thanks for the responses though.

Sorry--I can't offer any insight. I've never heard of an MRI with the result of "unfound" or an EMG that just said "muscle loss"

ALS does NOT cause vision problems.
ALS does NOT go away or get better on its own.
Dr. should NOT have mentioned ALS to you as you do not follow the symptoms.

Sounds like to me you may have had a virus or pinched nerve that got better for your leg. Hand could easily be carpel tunnel syndrome or trigger finger problems. Look into these and good luck on your surgery. Don't worry about ALS, you don't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back