Learn about ALS
Country
BE
State
Oostvlaanderen
City
Gent
Hello everybody,

I'm a bit reluctant to post this thread, just because I'm unsure if i'm overreacting or if i'm right and i don't want to be either...

Anyways this is my story, since 18 march i've noticed a little light headed feeling, just for a minute or so. I didn't make much out of it, but the same feeling came back the 19the and the 20th, however the 20th it stayed there,But i hoped a good nights rest was going to fix it, however when i woke op the 21st i still had this light headed feeling, continuing till the 25th.

Between this time though, the 23rd i went to the hospital just feeling i could collapse (because of fatigue and diziness)... they did a CT-scan nothing bad showed up on te scan, so a brain tumor or a stroke was put aside as possible cause, my blood had been tested twice and everything showed up perfectly fine, not any deficit of supplements, also no CFS, mononucleosis, traceable cancer, lyme,...
So i was confident it was just nothing and would go away...
(a little side note i noticed i felt very weak since the 21nd continueing till this date)
(also i noticed spasms in my legs since the 22nd)

Since i thoughed it was all going to be fine, i just went sporting (25th), i noticed i was only able to do a third of my normal distance, swimming laps in the community pool.

When i returned home i was just devistated, so tired my back ached my muscles were completely stiff,... this sporting stifness has lasted untill now the 27th

On the 26th i went to see a neurologist, but it wasn't to helpfull that my family member with me just was hinting the doctor i was just being a hypochondriac.
So she did some rudementary tests, seeing if my arms/legs reacted to this 'hammer' test. And she asked me about my symtoms, where i explained all of the above.

she watched the made ct scan and blood work, and concluded that it wasn't ms and that all my bloodwork was fine, but that probably the light headedness came from a wrong breathing pattern, but that she was surprised since i looked fit (i sport 3 times a week), so she gave me magnesium tablets and told me i shouldn't have any more anxiety for the future... she thinks anxiety caused all of this.

So i went home pretty embarassed, but also very relieved.. Until a friend pointed out ALS is very hard to find in the early stages. It had crossed my mind once but i didn't thoughed it would be this, since i'm 24 years old and the chance of getting it at my age is very slim.

However i must point out a few last symptoms i noticed (some already mentioned) that make me assume it might be ALS, and i swear to god i'm not making anything up just now.

-the 25th a few hours after my swimming, i couldn't move my foot at all, just sitting at a table, this has never ever happend to me before and it was the reason i went to the neurologist.
-the spasms that has happend to me the last week (primarily legs, but sometimes also my hands and very sporadic elsewhere)
-sometimes i'm just shaking when in bed
-i also notice my breathing feels harder then it ever used to be when i'm laying in any position in my bed. (also i notice it a bit when i'm just sitting in a chair, because i'm getting dizzy, even with a calm mind)
-i couldn't move my legs this morning, it happend also during the night
also something that actually almost never happens to me.
-the muscle stiffness
-I feel my grip of my hands has weakend, also a bit my overal strength....
-I feel my swallowing has become a bit harder (like there is something in my throat, it also feels stiff)

-I also had a constraction of my leg, like it just made this weard jerky movement when in bed. And when sitting down. 27th march

Somehow for me all these things fit in as a puzzle..
First i noticed this diziness (could be from weakened lung muscles because of ALS affecting my spine), it also now shows more prominent signs on my legs definitly with the sporadic immobility) and the muscle stiffness/ spasms/weakness/twitches can also indicate that the ALS is pretty widespread working now...

All my family and friends say it's just fine, but it doesn't feel anywhere near fine, i have never ever ever experienced such neural fatigue (i say neural because i think there is the main problem), also i feel so tired a few hours into the day each day now, they don't feel what my body feels like and i hope this forum can help me clarify what is going on?

Can ALS be this progressive, is this how ALS starts?? does anybody relate to this or know of a similar case? I really got the upmost respect for everybody confronted with this dissease and i don't want to be so overdrammatic...

But i just don't know, it doesn't feel right at all. Yes i'm getting anxiety now after getting more symptoms every day, but it just doesn't feel right at all...

Can anyone please help me? What is going on??? What should i do? :(

I hope i didn't make my story to difficult to read... (and sorry for all the grammar mistakes)
Anyways thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
please anyone? :s :( i can make a smaller summary if this is easier to go through.

Symptoms multiple areas? Dizzy? Feeling weak? Not being able to move but it resolves? Doesn’t sound like ALS.

Talk to your doctor again but not about ALS.

Good luck

I agree with Nikki

Angie

I sure will... i hope i find some clarity soon, thanks for the replies.

I will be back later, if a clear diagnosis has been made, to let you guys know what it is/was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back