Not open for further replies.

Caralyn

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi everyone. This is my first post and I hope that it may be the only. I really appreciate anyone taking time out to reply as I know many of you must be dealing with what I can only imagine is the most difficult illness in existence.
I will keep it brief , and although I've read the stickies and taken them onboard I just thought if I post my symptoms collectively it may give me a little reassurance to hear from individuals personally.
I am a single mum of three young kids , and I just turned 39. For the past month I have suffered the following on a daily basis;

1. Bodywide visible muscle twitching , more pronounced in right thigh. Doesn't always stop with movement. A twitch will occur 'somewhere' every 5 mins approximately. This has been going on approx 6 weeks.

2. Achey neck where head feels heavy upon waking , feels better within an hour or so.

3. Back pain, joint pain, all four limbs hurt intermittently but rarely all at once.

4. Clicking in neck when turning head one way and a knot feeling in upper back on both sides of spine

5. Very subtle tingling/parathesia intermittently in arms hands feet legs. Sometimes a feeling like warmth and 'dead arm' when I lift my right arm above head.

6. Very fatigued and restless. Aggitation when trying to relax or fall asleep.

No apparent muscle weakness or inability to perform tasks, just a feeling of tiredness in body.

I should admit I have slept on a two seater sofa for over a year due to not having a bed. Also I am very bad at drinking water and get very little exercise as I am agraphobic. I get between 4 and 5 hours sleep a night due to stress and a young daughter who sleeps very badly.

I hope this thread is not repetition of others but as there are so many variables in things I have read I wanted to put it all together in one post. I am so sorry if I upset anyone but I have to wait another three weeks before my appointment and I am just scared and searching for opinions.

Sending all of you my very best wishes. You're all warriors as far as I am concerned.
Godbless.

Hi there,

I'm sorry for the external stressors you are dealing with at home and with your kiddos. If you did truly read the stickies, and not just skimmed them, you'll know that every single one of your symptoms points away from ALS. If you did read the stickies, you'll know why they point away.

I think you've already answered your own questions and know that your physical symptoms don't say ALS. You also know that you need sleep, proper exercise, nutrients, and hydration to feel good. This pandemic has been a test for all of us, both physically and mentally, so your feelings are not out of the norm. Are you able to get a second hand bed? Proper sleep is imperative for humans to function at their best.

In any case, none of what you list has anything to do with ALS and everything to do with not caring for yourself. I do encourage you to work with your doc on solutions for self-care.

Take good care and wishing you all the best.

You have received good advice. Even a cot with any kind of mattress would be better so you could stretch out. We are not made to sleep on sofas, nor is wrangling three kids something done well on too little sleep. But ALS is not in the picture.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back