Status
Not open for further replies.
Brendapals

Thanks for your support! I did laugh because I sound drunk too-wish I was! I have a lot of thinking to do-in betweeen living life. For me, I have always hated people helping me or pitying me for anything-so this makes it even more difficult. I will definitely be here more.

oh yeah girl, I'm right with you on the I can do everything, no pity, syndrome!

It really does help to laugh-remember a positive mental attitude can do wonders for your health!

talk soon,
Never give up,
Never let up,
Never lose faith,
brenda

varacara,

Big hugs to you! The timing with the holiday's is hard too.

Everyone is different, there is such a wide variance as far as progression, and presentation, that you have every reason to expect it to be slow if you indeed do have a motor neuron disease.

Remember that there is specific wording as far as diagnosis for ALS, there is suspected, then probable, and then definite. So you're being told that ALS is in the running, but maybe not in the forefront of what is causing your problems. I say this because when it came down to this point with me, my doctors did not feel like they needed to do a lumbar puncture or muscle biopsy, that I didn't have symptoms that could be caused by conditions that these tests would reveal.

I found with my kids (who are all grown) that it worked to gradually bring ALS up as a possibility. As it was already obvious that nothing was clear cut, it wasn't that hard to do it in this manner. I know it sounds like it would be, but I grouped it in with other possibilities at first, It made it easier in that for a long (relatively) while all of my problems were bulbar, and they were not progressing fast at all. I think the time span gave them a chance to get more accustomed to the idea, than if I'd waited until everything else had been ruled out. I didn't really plan it this way, its just how it happened.

The swallow study will be very helpful to you, you and your doctors will be able to tell a lot by what it shows, and it is not unpleasant.

I know it isn't something you're ready for. Probably no one is prepared to hear this, even if they think that they are. It still seems preposterous to me much of the time.

Just know that you can always come here and find support.

One more thing about your kids, there is a new ALS website just for kids and teens. It is a sticky at the top of the General Discussion Forum opening page.

Keep us posted!

Varacara,

Right now, you're thinking this horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach is never going to go away. It takes some time, but you learn to accept your situation. Like Brenda said, everyone grieves in their own way. Give yourself the time for that. Spend time with family. Go on outings. Pray. Pray again. Spend some time alone but not too much time. Plan a vacation. Treat yourself to something special. Talk to us.

You're gonna get through this process. For me it took about two weeks. Everyone's different. When you "wake up", you'll have a new zest for life and all that's in it. The sunset will be more colorful, your children's smiles brighter, and your faith stronger.

Keep the faith,
-Tom

Varacara, I agree absolutely with what others have said. It is a shock to even consider this diagnosed, and we all have to process it in our own way. It took me a couple of weeks to want to see anybody but my husband ... and I had to see him, because he lives here ... I asked family to stay away, as I knew I'd burst into tears when I saw them, and they respected my wishes and that helped a lot. I was more in control when I started seeing people again.

Your doctors are obviously seriously considering other diseases, so there is still hope that it's not ALS. The cancer the doctor was talking about is something called LEMS ... it is a precursor to cancer, and is an autoimmune disease that's often mistaken for Myasthenia Gravis. When cancer cells appear in the body, the immune system sometimes goes into overdrive to get rid of them, and these symptoms appear. The good thing about LEMS is that it gives an early, early warning about cancer, and thus treatment can begin very early.

It is good that your doctor is so open about what he suspects. I hope and pray it is not ALS, but as Tom said, once you get past the shock of it, you will realize you still have a lot of living to do ... and somehow, the sunshine IS brighter, and the world more beautiful. Trust us.

About telling children

Hi Varacara,
I just want to say that there are many people on this forum with similar concerns and we will all help each other. No one can tell another how to approach serious issues with their children, but a general guideline I find helpful is "don't-worry-them-until-you-absolutely-have-to." Children, even older teenagers, don't need to know how terrified we are - it doesn't change any objective reality and just causes them stress that they're not equipped to and shouldn't be called on yet to handle. Kids are resilient and luckily egocentric, so until matters really affect them, you are doing exactly what you can - trying to find out what is going on and meanwhile being strong for your family. I find it useful to tell my daughter (age nine) that she shouldn't worry, that we're doing everything to find out what Daddy has. I then focus on the "poor Daddy, not feeling well, let's see how we can help him." Helping him or at least just being solicitous helps them in turn feel they are doing something and will always stand them in good stead.

I know there's nothing I can say that will help concretely, just hope that something you read anywhere helps you get through each day at a time.
All the best,
Erica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back