Uncontrollable Laughter With Als.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hope

Distinguished member
Has anyone experienced uncontrollable laughter with this illness?

hope.

Hi Hope: my mom has been diagnosed in June 06 with motor neuron disease affecting her speech and swallowing. For about one year prior to being diagosed she would laugh uncontrollably. I thought I was being funny eventhough I did not think I was at the time. I always looked at as "better laughing than crying". I have been now told that it is part of the condition. She is on medication for the saliva build up which helps with the laughter and crying episodes that she has. She gets emotional when she see relatives. God Bless...Take care. Anne

I too have that unexpected laughter at times. I have just accepted it and most people like the fact that I am able to laugh with having to deal with this ALS disease. I take Lexapro to help control it. Rick

The term used to describe it is emotional lability and is usually present in bulbar affected patients. It can present itself as uncontrollable laughing or crying. There are drugs that can help control it. AL.

Thank you all for the responses to my question. My husband is very ill and the illness seems to be progressing faster. Many challenges and lots of heartache but we are trying very hard to keep hope in our hearts and when he laughs I laugh with him. Sometimes the outbursts of laughter feel better than the tears. We have struggled through many things in the last few months. I have to say as I have said many times here, I am so thankful for this site. You are all wonderful, caring, and kind. The suffering that we are all going I cannot describe in words but it helps so much when we know we are not alone fighting the battle of this horrible disease. My heart goes out to all of you.

Sandy.

To Hope

My husband was just diagnoised with ALS. He went to a ALS Clinic and was run through 5 hours of testing. He has had outburst of uncontrollable laugher and crying. He has a very hard time swallowing liquids, even his own medicine for his emotions (which is a liquid.) We don't know what to do about that because they claim its a very new medicine and it doesn't come in pill form. It smells like something you would rub on sore muscles. My question is, he is showing no signs of muscle weakness in his arms or legs, his problems are all in his tongue, swallowing and speech. He has some twitching in the top part of his arms and chest, has anyone here heard of ALS controlling the body in this manner. I only read about it affecting the bottom half of the body first? Am I still not believing this is happening or is it just affecting my husband in a different way? Please respond!

Musicsmiles

musicsmiles said:
My husband was just diagnoised with ALS. He went to a ALS Clinic and was run through 5 hours of testing. He has had outburst of uncontrollable laugher and crying. He has a very hard time swallowing liquids, even his own medicine for his emotions (which is a liquid.) We don't know what to do about that because they claim its a very new medicine and it doesn't come in pill form. It smells like something you would rub on sore muscles. My question is, he is showing no signs of muscle weakness in his arms or legs, his problems are all in his tongue, swallowing and speech. He has some twitching in the top part of his arms and chest, has anyone here heard of ALS controlling the body in this manner. I only read about it affecting the bottom half of the body first? Am I still not believing this is happening or is it just affecting my husband in a different way? Please respond!

Musicsmiles

Hi,
He has what would be called bulbar onset, which simply means that the muscles controlled by the neurons coming right off of the brain stem (throat, lungs) are affected first. This happens to about 1 out of 4 ALS victims. Sorry to hear that it had to happen but there are a number of people here who are bulbar onset--I'm sure they will have a lot to offer you. I hope your ALS clinic is staffed with good people who are eager to answer your questions! Be sure and get what you need from them.

All the best,
DavidGL

Hi Musicsmiles: I am very sorry to hear about your husband. My mom has been having the same problems as your husband. I have not noticed any twitching anywhere else on her body other than the tongue. Just want to let you know that you are not alone. I pray for everyone on this site. It is a terrible journey that we are travelling. Anne

laugh & cry

Hello! Musicsmiles I too have the emotional outbursts. One day I had a huge choc. dipped cone. It started dripping, Looked like a volcano erupted well, I started laughing could not stop my husbsand started laughing with me. I spewded it all over our new van. I couldn't stop laughing, then ,I started crying. ( My husb SAID now more icecream for you)lol enjoy the laughter just be careful not to make a :-D mess:-D It is another weird ALS thing GOD BLESS.janf

It is wierd the outbursts of laughter, my husband laughs sometimes when I am crying. The first time he did this I cried so hard thinking of my goodness what is happening to him. He seems to do it more when I am very upset or crying. He says he feels bad but cannot help the laughter. I now join him, what else can one do. I think that he does this more when he is feeling very emotional, fear I think is what is triggering the laughter. We have had some wonderful moments of laughter from this, feel guilty even laughing with him but my husband and I have always made each other laugh alot. We sure are one now because we now laugh together, can be embarrasing trying to explain to others that my darling husband has als, now what is my excuse for laughing at the wrong times, I just say enjoy the moment and go on as hard as it may be.

sandy.

It was one of the first indications we had that my wife had developed ALS. (I'd read about the uncontrollable emotions). We were watching a movie with a certain popular SNL Alumnus in it... okay Chevy Chase... who cracked a line while she was drinking milk which, of course went straight through he nose and all over the bedroom. It was the first and only time that she... or anybody else I know ever found Chevy Chase funny!

T.

Musicsmiles

Thank you everyone for putting my mind at ease and helping me get through some of the unanswered questions. I definitely feel that I'm not alone now! You sound like some great and generous people. I'm glad I found this site. My husband goes back to the clinic on the 15th of this month, I am going with him of course and we have more questions for the staff. Please, if anyone has any ideas of how long the bulbar onset last before the muscles in his arms and legs become paralyzed! This really frightens me, especially with him being a construction worker and all! He feels he has to keep up his image.
Thank you so much if you can be of any help !
Musicsmiles (it really does! its part of my therepy)

musicsmiles said:
Thank you everyone for putting my mind at ease and helping me get through some of the unanswered questions. I definitely feel that I'm not alone now! You sound like some great and generous people. I'm glad I found this site. My husband goes back to the clinic on the 15th of this month, I am going with him of course and we have more questions for the staff. Please, if anyone has any ideas of how long the bulbar onset last before the muscles in his arms and legs become paralyzed! This really frightens me, especially with him being a construction worker and all! He feels he has to keep up his image.
Thank you so much if you can be of any help !
Musicsmiles (it really does! its part of my therepy)

Unfortunately, no one will be able to tell you how long it will be. Or even, with certainty, that it actually will affect his limbs. It may never go that far. From the neuros that I've met so far, they will only give you some probability for a progression rate depending upon what they have seen in him so far. And some people defy those predictions--either going faster or slower. In my opinion, the best way to keep some sanity around this is to assume the worst is coming and begin to prepare for it. Then take life one day at a time, being thankful for each one of those days you've been gifted with. Get all of the grief out of the way now and just "go forward". We have to work with what we are handed.

Be sure and write down all of the questions you have. And take charge on behalf of your husband. The victim is likely to be so overwhelmed by it all that he will just let things happen.

Wishing you all the best,
DavidGL

Hello

Hello everyone,
I have been monitoring this site closely over the last month. My husband who will be turning 40 month has been given the "possible ALs" diagnosis. Everytime I read an entry, I am feeling so many of the things that you are all experiencing. I am just cherishing the time that we have together. He has severe slurring of speech, muscle twitching...and the emotional lability. I have decided to just laugh with him.....what else can we do. I am trying to stay positive to my husband..and our 3 and 5 year old boys. This is just a crazy time. On the bright note...you are all amazing people to be battling and sharing your stories. Kelly from Saratoga Springs

Kelly,

I am so sorry you are going through this also, we are all here for you. We all care very much for each other. This is a wonderful site and the people here are great. The pain is awful we know and some days it is hard to put one foot in front of the other but know you are not alone.

Sandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back