Diagnosis
00/2011
Country
US
State
California
City
San Diego
My sister (diagnosed 7 years ago, bedridden, tube fed, ventilated, communication system) had an oxygen drop a couple of days ago. Doctors said there may have been irreversible damage. She has not responded to stimulation since. The fever has gone down just today. Her medical care directive instructs to continue feeding and hydration but no resuscitation or hospitalization. She is sedated for pain relief. Palliative doctors visited on Friday, decided not to take extraordinary measures. They will reassess on Monday. What measures can they take? Is this it?

I am sorry.

If there has been brain or other organ damage due to the lack of oxygen, or an event that may have caused it such as a blood clot or infection, she may not be responsive again. But as you say, the fever has just gone down so there is hope that she will improve. Did she receive antibiotics?

I am not sure which "extraordinary measures" you refer to, but it sounds like the doctors are in step with her expressed wishes. If there is an infection and it is within the scope of her directive, she can be treated for that, and her vent settings can be adjusted as per the data the machine shows, that the doctors can see.

The longer she is unresponsive, the less likely it is that things will change. At some point, you would then perhaps want to consider what she would want. Meanwhile, you can play her music, comb her hair, talk to her, hold her hand, all the things that would give her comfort.

Again, I am very sorry.

Best,
Laurie

How low did her O2 sats drop to?

Laurie, and NinjaLady, thank you for replying. My sister is in Spain, while I am here, so I am receiving information through my sister in law, my nephew, and my brother, who are there with her. The big oxygen drop happened on Wednesday. I don't know how low the drop was. Yesterday she had another drop in oxygen that went down to 40% but she recovered and it went back up to 93% and then 96%. I presume she received antibiotics. She is also receiving sedation, and an anticonvulsant for facial spasms. Today the fever is gone, and she is breathing ok.

I am sorry this must be so hard for you being so far away. You said they will reassess tomorrow? By lifting sedation and seeing if she is more responsive?

Wishing comfort for your sister and strength for you and your family

Hi, Nikki. Apparently the palliative doctors visited today again and said they would be back tomorrow to reassess. We will see what they say. I will probably get word as I am getting ready to travel to Madrid on Monday afternoon from the West Coast. I will arrive there Tuesday afternoon local time. It’s a long flight so I am sure I will have plenty of time to cry and generally be a mess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back