Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
US
State
FL
City
Boca Raton
Hello, my name is Victoria and my favorite uncle was just diagnosed in Boston with a variant of ALS. He is 71 years old and started having trouble with shortness of breath back in March. First they thought it was his heart, that checked out fine, then they thought it was a gastro issue and finally last week they decided to check neurological and that's when the diagnosis of a variant of ALS was given. Tests are still coming in and no course of tratment has yet been discussed. I have already told him to take all the amalgalm out of his mouth, to eat organic and get whey protein since he has lost a lot of weight and his limbs are especially thin. I need advice on therapies both medicinal and physical as we are just starting to navigate the web and find out more about the illness. I also bought the book Eric is Winning for him.
Thank you all in advance for helping out.

Victoria,
Please, please go to the search option on here, and type in the author of that book - you will get all sorts of responses about it.
I learned very quickly that unless the dentist will remove the amalgam fillings for free- you might want to have your uncle check with his dentist,
take good care,
brenda

Victoria ... organic foods will not help ALS. What your uncle needs is calories, as many as he can get down. He needs to regain as much weight as possible as soon as possible. This will slow down the progression of the disease.

The essential thing with ALS, according to my neuro, is to not lose weight. He told me to forget diets, forget cholesterol, forget everything except eating the highest-calorie food I could tolerate to get the weight I'd lost back on.

I wish good luck for your uncle; I know how much he must appreciate your concern.

Victoria. Eric IS winning. All the way to the bank, preying on the newly diagnosed hoping to find something to help. Nothing he prescribes has been proven to help. Sadly, there is virtually nothing you can do for ALS. Eat well, do stretching exercises to keep limber and try to maintain a positive attitude and you'll be better off. My dentist told me that changing fillings was riskier than leaving them in. Mercury hasn't been positively linked to ALS anyway. My dentist says there is more mercury in a can of tuna than leaks out of your fillings. Don't fall into the trap of signing up for hair analysis, clay baths or stem cell transplants in some god forsaken country where you wouldn't even sit on the toilet seats. Do your research, here is a good place to start.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back