wildcat1411

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
Hi everyone,

I'm a fairly active 27 year old male, and normally play basketball roughly 2-3 times per week. While playing 2 weeks ago, I very quickly noticed an uncharacteristic "burning" sensation in both of my lower quads within 5 minutes of exertion (like a typical lactic acid burn you'd expect after running a long distance). Both of my lower quads felt very stiff, and it felt as though my knees were ever so slightly buckling while walking/running. Since then, I've noticed fasciculations in both of my lower quads, but I've also noticed twitching in other muscle groups as well (calves, biceps). To this day, I still feel a stiff, burning sensation when walking in both my lower quads, right above the knee, even after 2 weeks of rest. When standing, my legs do feel a bit "shaky," although I can stand for an indefinite amount of time if I need to.

My strength does not seem to be affected as far as I can tell. I can sprint, walk long distances, walk on my heels and toes without a problem, but I do notice that strange burning/fatigue feeling in both lower quads as soon as I begin these activities. I know that what I'm describing is likely "perceived" weakness, but I am concerned that this is a sign that one of my leg muscles are overcompensating for failure in another muscle fiber. A recent blood panel showed I had insufficient Vitamin D levels (24 ng/ml). I've been taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D for the past 5 days, but the symptoms are still present.

I have an appointment scheduled with a Neurologist this Thursday, but I'd like to get some feedback from this community beforehand. How likely is it that these symptoms are a sign of ALS?

Thank you very much for your input.

Last edited:

Lkaibel

Forum Supporter
Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
MN
You are not experiencing actual weakness and you keep talking about sensations. Do see your Doctor if these symptoms persist, hydrate yourself and get some rest. Nothing I can see in this post says ALS at all. However, your Doctor is always you best guide.

KarenNWendyn

Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
I agree with Lenore — definitely not ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.