00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Somerset
Hi everyone,

I'm a fairly active 27 year old male, and normally play basketball roughly 2-3 times per week. While playing 2 weeks ago, I very quickly noticed an uncharacteristic "burning" sensation in both of my lower quads within 5 minutes of exertion (like a typical lactic acid burn you'd expect after running a long distance). Both of my lower quads felt very stiff, and it felt as though my knees were ever so slightly buckling while walking/running. Since then, I've noticed fasciculations in both of my lower quads, but I've also noticed twitching in other muscle groups as well (calves, biceps). To this day, I still feel a stiff, burning sensation when walking in both my lower quads, right above the knee, even after 2 weeks of rest. When standing, my legs do feel a bit "shaky," although I can stand for an indefinite amount of time if I need to.

My strength does not seem to be affected as far as I can tell. I can sprint, walk long distances, walk on my heels and toes without a problem, but I do notice that strange burning/fatigue feeling in both lower quads as soon as I begin these activities. I know that what I'm describing is likely "perceived" weakness, but I am concerned that this is a sign that one of my leg muscles are overcompensating for failure in another muscle fiber. A recent blood panel showed I had insufficient Vitamin D levels (24 ng/ml). I've been taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D for the past 5 days, but the symptoms are still present.

I have an appointment scheduled with a Neurologist this Thursday, but I'd like to get some feedback from this community beforehand. How likely is it that these symptoms are a sign of ALS?

Thank you very much for your input.

Last edited:
You are not experiencing actual weakness and you keep talking about sensations. Do see your Doctor if these symptoms persist, hydrate yourself and get some rest. Nothing I can see in this post says ALS at all. However, your Doctor is always you best guide.

I agree with Lenore — definitely not ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back