Type of Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nikki J
Thanks a lot for the info. She got back to me saying the only one they would prescribe is Kate Farms but its hard to get with Medicare. If the nutritionist signs off on it, I will follow up with kate farms to see if we can make it work. What did your family members use?

My mother had no tube. My sister had severe refeeding issues and needed special formulas. the only other relative who chose a feeding tube was in another country

i think Nona might have used Kate Farms. You should do a search and see what people said about getting it.

That nurse was probably living in the past, when vitamin/mineral supplementation was more expensive and therefore not always done. Push back by all means -- she is educating [or not] others as well.

I'm sorry, but the clinic nurse may be a great nurse, but she's clueless about nutrition. Your PALS' primary care physician can prescribe whatever food your PALS prefers. Perhaps he doesn't care about one of the three real food options and he's fine with the other, in which case he should just go with it. If he prefers real food, he may have to fight a little for it... starting with pushing on past the clinic nurse and finding someone who will write a script. Nobody outside of your family can tell your PALS what he can and can't eat. It's all a function of what, and how much, insurance will cover and how comfortable you are with the out-of-pocket. To answer your earlier question, we did pay some out-of-pocket but we managed.

@GXTrex I don't know about where you are, but here nutritionists really push the high corn starch or sugary formulae. They get given loads of samples from companies and say never, never, never blend your own food and put down a tube. Just sayin ....

I will try to push for Kate farms. Has anyone gotten approved in the US under Medicare? More specifically in New York? My dad (pals) doesn't seem to care much. He just does what we suggest for him. He is having some cognitive effects so that could be a part of it

We are in NY my friend. If your dad doesn't really care either way you have nothing to lose. Just go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back