12/2011
Country
US
State
CA.
City
Southern
Does anyone know if you can take both of these drugs

I do every day and my doctors didnt object.

Thanks Barry
after I posted the question I thought, hey how about reading the the instructions that come with the drugs. Dummy me!

While there is nothing that says you can't take them together, Tylenol (acetaminophen) is rough on your liver, just like Rilutek. So you might want to keep that in mind! I decided that for these first few months that I'm taking Rilutek, I'm not taking any Tylenol (and that sucks because I love my Tylenol PM every night!) just in case the liver tests come back elevated... that way I'll know for sure the cause.

If you don't want to take your Tylenol PM, take a couple of Benadryl... same active ingredient, without the acetaminophen...

True, Katie, it is. But it is also hard on the liver. Seems like everything under the sun is!

Most drugs are metabolized primarily by the liver, meaning they have the potential to damage it, yet millions of people take multiple rx. A normal acetaminophen or Benadryl (diphenhydramine) dose should not add significantly to the risk of Rilutek hepatotoxicity, if liver function is normal at baseline and checked regularly. As Katie noted, it's silly to take Tylenol PM for sleep if you don't need pain relief. However, liver injury can manifest at any time and so a normal followup test doesn't mean that liver injury will never occur while on Rilutek. Hepatic injury is cumulative and can be caused/exacerbated by many things, including alcohol, hepatitis and recreational drugs. It is often the combination of lifestyle and rx/OTC that causes injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back