Yawner

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
Hey all,

I have a question because I saw that yawning had been mentioned in quite a few threads as an early symptom. Basically I’ve had twitching for two years which I don’t really care about anymore, however since about June of last year I’ve had excessive yawning everyday, without fail. Basically a couple of times a day I will have these little yawning episodes where I’ll yawn continuously for a good five to ten minutes. I have been to countless doctors (Ent, stomach, gp, neurologist etc) and not a single one has any idea about the yawning. The only definite thing has been a diagnosis of LPR which has gotten much better under aggressive treatment, but still the yawning remains.
I just want to know if this could be related to ALS in tandem with twitching or not? Neurologists have all said that clinical is fine but they don’t really have anyway to test anything in regards to yawning and they don’t have any medicine to reduce it

thank you in advance

If medical professionals do not understand why you are yawning, I'm not sure folks on an ALS forum are going to be of any more help. I'm not sure why you've been yawning for a year nor have I heard of anyone yawning for a year and it being anything worrisome. ALS is about progressive muscle function failure, which you've not described at all.

Maybe it's just something odd going on with your body and if you task yourself with keeping busy during a yawning spell, instead of hyper focusing on it, they will lessen more and more. Sorry, not the greatest advice, but since I've never heard of such a thing as you're experiencing, it's the only thing I can think of.

Best of luck to you and take good care

Nope, definitely not related to ALS as a 'symptom' with nothing else happening.
Have a good read here, it will really help you work out what ALS is about.

I am presuming an EEG was done to rule out a seizure disorder; if not, I'd ask. Yawning has occasionally been related to ALS as an upper motor neuron sign in some cases, but not at onset in the way you describe.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back