Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
nj
City
new brunswick
I'm sure we have all read about weakness and atrophy with ALS and regretfully people are living with both. I searched on here and there were a lot of threads but nothing that really answered these next two questions:

My first question: when it comes to weakness, is a sudden 10% decrease in weakness (in a matter of a couple of weeks) typical of ALS or is it something that happens gradually and continually, almost unnoticeably?

My second question: does atrophy behave in the same way as weakness? Is it a sudden thing that happens in a month or is it gradual and continual and almost unnoticeable?

i would say in answer to both questions that it is gradual.
my neuro noticed weakness in my left lower leg a while before i ever noticed or felt it and it's only as it has slowly got worse i notice it more.
as for atrophy i can't comment but have been told it is gradual
take care
caroline:-D

Mine were both gradual and over a year or so before being noticible in the case of atrophy.
AL.

Atrophy

Has anyone been diagnosed with atrophy as a primary sympthom without noticed weakness in several months?, only atrophy, a big dent in thenar eminence, and watch strap too loose, but no weakness as far as i can notice. A very little widespread fasciculations, and nothing else.

I know atrophy is one of the hallmarks of als, but i don't know if is very typical without weakness.

If so, how much time passed until weakness came perceived?

Thx in advance

Thank you for the replies

The reason I asked my questions is because I had a sudden loss of strength in my right arm (it had to occur in less than 2 weeks) and then I had atrophy about a month later and that took less than a month to happen and then it just stopped. I haven't seen much in the way of change in a few months.
I know it doesn't sound like "typical" ALS but I keep reading on here that everyone is different. Does it seem like this is just too much a stretch to be consistent with ALS? Should I be looking at other possibilities more closely?

Mine was gradual as AL said. My best advice is when in doubt find a good ALS clinic near you and make an appointment.

The Doctors there deal with MND every day and can better tell what is going on with your symptoms and maybe calm your fears.

My Dad's was also gradual and indeed other members of our family because we have FALS were gradual. Atrophy usually occurs from muscles being used progressively less because the nerves are not able to send messages to the muscles. With my Dad EMG revealed a slowness of reaction in nerve to muscle before there was any atrophy or loss of strength.
Dee

As with many symptoms of this dieases, I think it varies. My husband lost 50 pounds in less than a year. He was always barrel chested and suddenly he was this skinny little guy - no shoulders or chest left. His hands began to atrophy slowly. His wedding ring fell off and we had to have it re-sized. The last time we went to his neuro we were told that he had lost about 5% weakness in one hand (3 month check up) but my husband felt it was growing worse as he was having difficulty buttoning things, etc.

Thank you for the replies

The reason I asked my questions is because I had a sudden loss of strength in my right arm (it had to occur in less than 2 weeks) and then I had atrophy about a month later and that took less than a month to happen and then it just stopped. I haven't seen much in the way of change in a few months.
I know it doesn't sound like "typical" ALS but I keep reading on here that everyone is different. Does it seem like this is just too much a stretch to be consistent with ALS? Should I be looking at other possibilities more closely?

Try reading about CIDP. My husband has atrophy of the right hand and weakness. I believe that the grip strength diminished first and then gradual atrophy ensued. It crept up on him. He had a query of ALS in the beginning, but now seems to be diagnosed with CIDP and he receives IVIG monthly. His atrophy is very pronounced in the hand and lower arm. It is very visible and disabling.
Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back