Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
City
Oxford
Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time reading this. I am a 34 year old male gardener and started developing twitching in my left bicep about 2.5 weeks ago. It was a physically demanding day when it started, but having done work like this my whole working life it was nothing unusual for me.

The twitching would come and go every 20-45 mins the first few days and did ease up and suddenly stopped in my bicep after a week, but I started to get random twitching everywhere else (mostly in upper body, right tricep and a little in the left thigh) and my left bicep began to hurt a week after, which almost felt like a muscle tear or pull. Stupidly I began to google and have also been aware of some rugby players like Ed Slater where their first symptoms were twitching so I started to worry.

I then developed some restricted and maybe weakness in my left thumb and then it stopped but quickly jumped over and have developed some restricted movement and slowness in my right thumb and index finger (dominant), the thumb here is definitely thinner than my left.

I have swam a lot the last few weeks too as it helps a lot with my mental health so maybe I have overdone it. Though work has been quieter for me this winter and hasn’t been as physical as summer usually is so I don’t really think I’m doing too much.

To sum up, I had twitching in one bicep, now it has stopped and become more widespread but a lot less often, restricted movement in my right thumb and index finger and a weaker feeling. Should I be worried?
I went to the doctor yesterday and I am getting blood tests on Friday.

Thank you again.

Hi James-

This link should answer your questions: Read Before Posting

Twitching absent any other symptoms means no ALS. Symptoms that improve or disappear mean no ALS.

Take care

What did your doctor say?
It would seem to me that blood tests indicate they are not thinking anything neurological.

Please do read the post Shiftkicker has given, we put countless hours into developing it to help you understand what is most likely going on.
All the best.

To answer your question -- I don't think you need to be worried.

This might be a good opportunity to work on your techniques for handling stress and anxiety. Most human beings can benefit from this! Also, it will be helpful for you as you get older.

Best wishes.

Thank you all for you replies.
He did ask about family history with regards to MS and anything else neurological and seemed more of the opinion that I have over exerted myself which caused the twitching. He mentioned about checking for inflammation and almost crossing things off the list i.e. vitamin deficiencies first.

Sorry again as seemed to have got myself into a little frenzy with over thinking and catastrophising, I seemed to be okay with the twitching after a while, but now my wrist and thumb feels a stiff and the bicep hurts i have become anxious once again. As you all say I think working on my ability to deal with anxieties and stress needs to be better and need to spend time on that rather than googling symptoms.

I have had a good read also on the read before posting and thank you again.

Thank you

Definitely work on that. As part of that work on not racing to the internet to read all the horror you can, and not asking people who are not doctors to work it out with you.
Whatever is going on is likely to be solved with very simple things like posture, nutrition, hydration, exercise, sleep, mindfulness.
You can do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back