Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Shirley
I've thought long and hard about even posting this, considering I'm only 22 years old and I've seen so many people with ALS concerns dismissed for that reason alone, but a recent change in my symptoms really has me worried.

Everything started back in October, when I had a small jerk, just in my left thumb, which turned into a cramp in the muscle under my right thumb, then disappeared. A few weeks later, I started twitching everywhere, and by december, I had terrible, sweat-inducing cramps in my right thigh, just above the knee. Those went away after just a week, and for a while, it was nothing but twitching.

That is, until about 2 weeks ago. The back of my left arm started cramping mildly, and then my left calf started cramping, just as my right thigh had before, and within 3 days the entire underside of my left leg, from the buttocks down, started cramping. The cramps are gone, now, but both my left leg and the part of my left arm which was cramping now feel terribly strained, like I've been exercising them constantly. Whenever I perform any physical activity, the affected parts of those limbs become fatigued incredibly quickly, though so far I haven't noticed any weakness myself.

The worst part, however, is my tongue. I've had twitching in my tongue on and off for a few months, now, but recently, it's like my tongue is refusing my brain's orders. It's getting difficult to make "th" or "r" sounds, and sometimes I get the same feeling as when it twitches when it's at rest. At the same time, I have globus sensation. I've tried an experiment: I used to be able to name all 50 states in just 15-20 seconds, though now I'm struggling to do so in 1 minute. It's not terribly scientific, I know.

Anyway, I'm not particularly worried, since probability is on my side, but I know that the possibility still exists, so I have to ask, does this sound at all like ALS?

go see your primary care physician and get a complete physical with blood work, urine, and EKG. your doctor will determine if further tests are needed. ignoring your symptoms is not the way to deal with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back