Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
LA
Hi my name is Kennedy, I am 20 years old and have been experiencing on and off twitching all over my body for the past month (April 2021). It occurs mostly in both of my legs (quads, hamstrings, calves, feet) when I am rest but can also be felt in my face, back, shoulders, and arms. The twitches feel like I am always shaking and makes my legs and arms feel “funny” or odd. I also get tingling sensations (or a feeling of electrical current) at times when the twitching is occurring. Does this sound like the starting symptoms of ALS?

Furthermore, I am very active person as I play college baseball and am in the weight room 5-7 days a week. I have since been to three urgent care doctors (as I am away from home in college) and have taken 2 blood tests. I am still awaiting the results from one of the blood tests, but the other blood test came back clean. The doctor then said that I need to take a break from weights and need to relax as that might be the reason of my twitching. I was then confused as I have been doing this routine daily for 3 years now and have not experienced any twitching before. By this, I have come here for more answers and advice as I have become worried as I started to research my symptoms and ALS was then the first thing that came up. I then have been feeling weak in my right hand and feel like I am losing grip when I pick up things. Thus. I have a lot of questions like “is ALS twitching localized?” and “what does clinical weakness feel like?”. I want to be reassured and have some type of relief as this has been driving me crazy. I wIll also take any advice.

ALS is a terrible disease as no one should go through this process at all. It destroys a person mentally and physically and I feel for every patient who have gone through this. I don’t mean for this post to be selfish in anyway as I just want to be reassured and educated. Thank you.

No, widespread twitching, tingling and the like have nothing to do with ALS. What you describe has nothing to do with clinical weakness and there is no such thing as "ALS twitching" because it is a disease of lost function. You are still lifting, and playing baseball. What the doctor meant is that sometimes overtraining and/or a nutritional imbalance can cause twitching, even if it's your regular routine. You might start a diary of your food and drink and see if you can see a pattern or any recent changes that might explain the twitching. You can also vary your routine a little more with stretches, tai chi, Pilates, stuff that elongates your muscles a little.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Thank you for your response Laurie,

I will take your advice and start to stretch out more because I hardly ever stretch after a workout. I will also start to monitor what I eat and drink throughout the day. I also have another question if you don’t mind answering. Every time I get a twitch it feels like electricity is running throughout the affected area of my body. Is this something I should be worried about? Also i tend to jerk a lot. Thank you again for your time and appreciate your help.

Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back