Reason
Other
Country
US
State
pa
City
Collegeville
Hello all. I have been reading everyone's posts for a few days and thought I would post my own concerns. About 3 months ago, I found out that I have herniated discs in my neck and developed neck muscular pain that worsened w/ physical therapy but is gone now with mobic (an anti-inflammatory med). But going thru all of that caused me to become very anxious and I started with headaches. The next week, I started with twitches in my left foot. They went away for 2 days and then I woke up one night w/ charlie horses in my calves and got freaked out. In the morning, I went online and read a story of someone who developed ALS that started with charlie horses and twitches. I started twitching in my calves since then and it has been over 3 weeks now. I had a brain MRI that showed some hyperintensities and I see a neurologist tomorrow. My family doctor thinks all of this is anxiety-related since I have been dealing w/ anxiety for a couple of months and the anxiety came before any of the twitching. Which makes sense. He also tested me for lyme, lupus and doesn't think that I have MS. My lyme elisa was positive a couple of months ago. But a repeat is negative and so is the western blot.(I have only been reactive to one band on Western blot twice now) So he doesn't think Lyme disease.
Reading stuff online has scared me more, of course. Now I get twitches in my arms and legs and occasionally other areas. You can see them if they are repetitive but most of the time, they are a few in scattered areas when I am at rest. No more charlie horses but I do have cramp-like pains in my arms and legs but no tightening of the muscles and they only last a second or two. No weakness observed and I actually pressure-washed the house this week and am able to do all of my normal activities. I have read that most people w/ ALS get weakness first and then twitches. It also seems like ALS twitches are worm-like and I definitely don't have worm-like movements, just normal twitches. The only concerning thing for me is that my upper arm muscles are sore but I did kayak last week against the wind and pressure washed the house 2 days ago so it could be from that.
So could anyone tell me if this sounds concerning? Do twitches come first for some people and do ALS twitches look and feel different than normal twitching? Also, do twitches w/ ALS occur all the time or only at rest like mine? I see a lot about BFS online also but can't find any real medical websites that discuss it....only people who have it seem to make websites on BFS. I just don't want to worry anymore and thought this seemed like a good place to start. I'm sure the neurologist will give me plenty of advice tomorrow too.
Thanks!

I have been twitching and cramping for 3 years now and still not sure it is ALS. Quinine helps the cramps and rest helps the twitching. At least for me, it does. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back