Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hi there. I posted on this site about 5 years ago and received some very kind feedback.

Back in 2017 I noticed that I had fasciculations. While I get them all over my body (tongue included) they are by far heaviest in my left calf. After my PC noticed the shaking in my tongue, she sent my to a neurologist. They performed a series of strength tests, Bubkinski (sp?) and others. He did not feel an EMG was necessary and felt confident that I did not have ALS.

At the time, it was noticed that my left calf was visually smaller than my right.

Flash forward to today, I feel like the twitches in my left calf and foot are worse than ever. I do sometimes experience ankle pain, and my ankle has always had a tendency to roll (not just as of late, but for the past 15 years). I have measured the differences in my calf and it seems to be about 1-1.5in difference in size from left to right. From what I can tell just in my day to day life, I do not seem to have any weakness.

Based upon these symptoms, is it worth returning to the doctor and requesting an EMG? I am trying my best not to be paranoid but with something that you can constantly feel it’s harder to ignore.

Hi
I am sorry you are still worried.
6 years of twitching without loss of function is highly reassuring. As a young woman your risk is very low even if you had more concerning symptoms
asymmetry in extremities is common in healthy people
if you are worried then sure go see your doctor but don’t try to direct your care

good luck

Sorry - I got the dates wrong. 2015 was when this all started. Not sure if those extra two years relevant, but wanted to be accurate.

Those extra two years makes it even less of a possibility that you'd have something sinister going on.

I think the more relevant question would be what have you been doing to get help for your extreme anxiety?

Let your doctor know about your localized issue (ankle). She/he might want to get imaging or send you to PT. Just let your doctor take the lead on what tests/treatments are needed.

Best wishes.

Hello and sorry you find yourself here again-

In your last thread you indicated Hashimotos', so it might be a good idea to go to your doctor to get your thyroid checked out. After 8 years of twitching, you'd experience more impairment if this were in any way related to MND.

Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back