Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
Sow, first of all, thank you for this forum!
It's amazing that you give your time to help people with all their questions. I read a lot of the threads here already.

Sow, my history, Im from Belgium, 25 years old, i'm going to try my best for speaking English here.

A 5 months ago, i started twitching in the calves. First thing what i did was searching it on the internet, went to the rabbit hole. After two weeks, i visited a Neurologist. He did the clinical exam, everything OK he said, he saw some twitching. He ordered an EMG at the end of February. That neurologist told me he that is was very unlikely to have something serious, but he saw that my muscles were "cramping" or "moving" very quickly, he ordered a MRI for the muscles.

Then at the beginning of April, we discussed the results of the MRI, he ordered a second EMG for the 13th of June to see of everything is the same or worse.

That's a little summary.

I visited a lot of the BFS-sites and groups on the web. I know that anxiety can make these things worse.

But for me, the thing that gnaws me. Is they are all the time in my right leg, my right leg smaller then the left one, i have for 80% of the time the twitching, jerks, jolts, jumping muscle. I thought that when you use the muscle, it should stop. But even when im driving car, all the bad things are in my right leg, even when standing.

Just like when i use my right arm, for example using the mouse, the elbow, or just a little above the elbow Starts twitching. I hate that, since then, there isn't a day when my right leg is doing all those stuff. It's just scares me that it is in the smaller leg and everyday, when i wake up, i just want that it stops for a single.

Know when i'm sitting, i don't know if it are twitches or, but it feels like i need to scratch or push on it, it feels like there crawling things on my leg.
Even when doing something outside, i really want to sports, but that right leg, is getting tired so fast.

I hope that the second EMG will be more positive. I just want to get it to stop. Sorry for sending the message.

You’ve described a lot of twitching but no muscle function failure and apparently nothing significant on EMG or any weakness on neurological exam. Therefore there is nothing here to suggest ALS.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure. It doesn’t matter how much you twitch, how often, or where you twitch. Many people with BFS twitch like crazy. Some people with BFS twitch more than some people with ALS.

Please read the following if you haven’t already done so:

I really understand what you are saying and i read the sticky's.

It is just, it's keep me gnawing.

I read that these concerning twitches, are all time active. For the last weeks it's always in the right leg and in the elbow. Every time I pick up the phone of use the computer mouse, use the right arm, the elbow start twitching.

and for the right leg, it's is popping, twitching everywhere. Sometimes the popping or twitching hurts, like someone is pulling strings.

Sorry for sending and interrupting you, but on some forums, the only thing they do is making People more scared then helping of giving advice.
And you guys are really helpful.

I'm really trying to relax and do my "everyday things"

but i don't understand why it's for 80 percent of the time in the right foot, calves, upper leg the twitching and in the elbow. I can do stuff with that arm, but just like now writing this text, the elbow start twitching crazy. I understand that the "crawling bugs or insects"- feeling is not related.

Even when I'm driving the car, my legs, feel like someone is shooting elastics into it.

I just don't understand why is it in the smaller leg, i know, seeing atrophy from a pictures is difficult. But the calves are one cm smaller and the thighs 3 cm difference.

Twitching is meaningless as you have been told. You should know that from the bfs sites.

People are asymmetrical 1cm or 3 cm both do not sound at all worrisome.

You have follow up planned. Please find a way to address your anxiety in the meantime and come back after and let us know what happened. We addressed your concerns as best we could from the data provided but we can not hold your hand for the next 3 weeks. Sorry but that is the reality

No no that's true and thank for that!

I will let you know what happend, 13th of June is the EMG planned.

But for you it's sounds normal that the twitch in the elbow can be trigger by using the arm?

Thank you!

Yes, some twitches that are benign can be triggered by activity, whereas others are more worrisome at rest. That is because there are many different reasons, often overlapping ones, for them.

Nutrition and hydration frequently plays a role in the ones that occur with using the arm. While you are waiting for the EMG, try to listen closely to what your body tells you about it wants, which is a real thing. The same is true for exercise, even as simple as walking.

Thank you for your reactions!

I followed your tips, when im standing still, after a few minutes that right leg. I feel pain, tightness, like someone is pulling a large needle in it. Why cant it be normal.

A little update!

Yesterday i had An apointment with my GP, i told him that the twitching is still here, bodywide and sometimes they really hurt. I told him about my right leg, especially that the upperleg is smaller and that the right leg is faster tired, weaker then the left.

He confirmed that the upperleg is smaller then the left one, he did some strenghttest and he said that he didn't feel a big difference between the two legs. He said that i have not an mnd. 13th of June, i have my apointment with the Neurologist for the follow-up EMG.

But i don't know what this, bodywide twitching and weaker, smaller, upper right leg. It's make me crazy. Stressy, crying, because i don't know what this is and i really want a solution.

When in the beginning, when i read a lot of the stories of Pals. They said that sometimes they have to wait a year before they knew there answer. Because at tye beginning, it was to early to the mnd. Prff

I realy understand what you are saying. But after 5 months bodywide twitching, weaker, painfull upperleg and it's confirmed that that leg is smaller.

Arent good Papers to go on. I just want to get over it and know what is wrong

Well, what's wrong is not ALS and for that you should feel extremely blessed. As Chuck said, "it's not ALS! Go live your life!". Words of advice you should listen to.

Good luck to you in your life. Take care.

No no understood, but what can make my atrophy, weaker right leg and twitching?

Thank you!

We don’t know—that’s for your doc to figure out. We know ALS and you don’t have it. Please, it’s time for you to move on.

Owkey! Thank you for the quick response. I Will let you know the results of the second EMG. 13th of june

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back