00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
NYC
Hi y'all,

I posted back in December, but wasn't able to re-open that thread. Basically, since June 2019, I've been experiencing tremors (feels like whole body is shaking, even when it isn't), feelings of fatigue, non-specific twitching all over my body, and feelings of numbness or tingling in my hands and feet. I got an EMG on in R arm and leg in early December, and it came back entirely clean (no BFS, no nothing).

Since then, I've started experiencing extreme muscle soreness and twitching. My legs burn after going up a single flight of stairs, and walking around my neighborhood this week has caused long-lasting soreness and pain in my calf muscles. This is coming from someone who, in September, was backpacking 15 miles a day. Additionally, the muscles on the inside of my L knee have been twitching continuously for the past 3 days -- visibly -- in addition to having nonspecific twitching throughout my body.

The weird thing is, I spent the winter working as a ski instructor, and was able to ski successfully with not much pain or difficulty -- the only pain/burning I noticed was from walking up stairs, and then when I did some squats, after 20 it felt like the muscles in my quads seized up, and I had extreme tightness and soreness for ~4 days after, which was very weird for me.

I'm due for a follow-up with my neuro this April, but he's shut down because of the virus. Saw a doctor in Feb, due to some vision issues I was having, and he prescribed an MRI and thinks it more likely to be MS or fibromyalgia, but those wouldn't cause the constant twitching that I'm experiencing. I also got diagnosed with bipolar disorder a few weeks ago, but don't think that is causing the twitching. I am very scared, and don't know what to do.

Thank you, and I hope everyone is doing okay in the face of this pandemic!

Past thread here: 22, concerned about progressive symptoms for past 6 months

Did your physician say those wouldn't cause twitching? Because that's not really the case. If you look up either of those plus twitching, you'll see discussion about it.

Numbness and tingling are sensory and are not part of the usual constellation of symptoms that comes with ALS. The fact you've already had an EMG that did now show any of the specific results that indicates ALS also points away from this being the problem. While these times are hard and have caused much disruption in normal life, it's highly doubtful you are heading in to them facing ALS.

Please take care

Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply!

Yeah, my doctor said that bipolar does not, and that MS/fibro cause shaking, but not the twitching I'm experiencing -- which basically feels like an out-of-control heartbeat racing or beating arrythmically beneath my knee/other muscles, and causes my skin to look and feel like there's something underneath it, jumping.

I think at this point, I'm really struggling with anxiety -- of undiagnosed physical health issues, this pandemic, and my mental health issues.

Side note: how do all of you feel about virtual visits to doctors? Are they helpful or effective?

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Up to 70% of people twitch. Most of them are healthy.

You’re describing all your physical attributes to people who can’t move about in bed and must rely on machines to breathe and type with their eyes. Count your blessings that you’re not in this club, and please continue to work on your anxiety and mental health issues.

You haven’t described ALS one bit.

Please read this post through a couple of times again - I hope you get some answers soon, but ALS it ain't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back